Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Instructions for applying Pan card for NRI


29 November 2010  

INSTRUCTIONS for applying Pan card for NRI


Non-resident individuals and organisations need to have a Permanent Account Number (PAN) number if they receive an income and need to file returns in India. PAN is issued by the Income Tax (IT) Department to all assessees and quoting of PAN is compulsory in all returns filed with the IT department.

The PAN number comprises of ten alphanumeric characters and is issued in the form of a laminated card. A PAN card is required for both resident as well as non-resident assessees. In case of non-resident assessees, there are a few minor changes in the requirements for an application.

A non-resident assessee is:

A citizen of India residing outside India at the time of making application

Not a citizen of India i.e.  Foreign citizen

Other than individual (a company, trust, firm, etc) - not a citizen of India - having no office of its own in India.

 The following points should be noted while applying for the PAN:

AO Code : AO code pertaining to International Taxation Directorate should be used.

Address: A foreign address can be provided as residential (only for individuals) and office address by such applicants, if they do not have any Indian address of their own. Individual applicants may indicate any address (residential or office -whether Indian or abroad) as the address for communication.

Additional courier charges for PAN card dispatch shall be payable by applicant at the time of making application if the address for communication is a foreign address. Complete address including name of state, province (if applicable) and name of country should be clearly mentioned in the application as part of the address.

A proper zip or pin code, if applicable, should be provided by the applicant. Further, a valid email address must be provided by such applicants. It is to be noted that providing details of Residential Address (RA) is not mandatory in the PAN application for such applicants. However, if RA details are provided, proof of identity and address in respect of RA shall be required in addition to those of the applicant.

Photograph and signature: Individual applicants should provide their own recent colour photograph of prescribed size. This is not applicable for other applicants. Application should always be signed by the applicant himself / herself in all cases (for individuals). In case of applicants other than individuals, application should be signed by an authorized signatory on behalf of the applicant (eg director of the company or partner of the firm or trustee of the trust, etc).

Even if the RA details are provided, the application should be signed by the applicant (in case of individual applicants) or by the authorized signatory (for non-individual applicants).

source:- https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/features/financial-times/How-NRIs-can-apply-for-PAN-card-in-India/articleshow/7000635.cms

 6 Replies

Suresh Prasad (www.aubsp.com) (15565 Points)
Replied 29 November 2010

This May Also Helpful for ................

NRI PAN Card Application - Filing Instructions - Form 49A

Ajay Mishra (Company Secretary) (74302 Points)
Replied 29 November 2010

Thanks for sharing.....................................................

Suresh Prasad (www.aubsp.com) (15565 Points)
Replied 19 December 2010

Originally posted by : Ajay Mishra

Thanks for sharing.....................................................

I will Try my Best........

kabir (asst manager) (36 Points)
Replied 04 October 2012

Dear Expert,

I just registered a Trust For NGO purpose and need to apply for Pan Card for my Trust. The online form asks for the AO code/Ward.... I know that for individuals / co.s the ward / AO code shall be the place your office / Address is located. But For Trsusts is it the same? The confusion arises as the excel sheet i have downloaded from the same site has one particular AO code (ADIT/DDIT TRUST CIRCLE II) for the trusts as well. The office otherwise is in Prashant Vihar Delhi.

DShah (Analyst) (27 Points)
Replied 12 October 2012


need some help regarding  filling PAN card detal change form (NRI). While signing, you have to mention the 'place'. is it ok if the place mentioned is outside india. 

my client is insisting that he writes his city's name outside india.

please advice.

dr.pashmeen (doctor) (24 Points)
Replied 25 February 2014

Originally posted by : DShah


need some help regarding  filling PAN card detal change form (NRI). While signing, you have to mention the 'place'. is it ok if the place mentioned is outside india. 

my client is insisting that he writes his city's name outside india.

please advice.

Hello Mr. DShah


Certainly, you can enquire from this company called : Investbak.com

They are a team of excellent professionals who work absolutely fine to get your services in just a few simple clicks!

You can contact them at contact(at)investbak.com

or call on +91-9650673813

I am sure they would be of great help!



Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags