Do I need to file ITR for getting money from mother

I need some guidance regarding income tax filing. I transferred total ₹11,000 from my mother’s bank account to my Paytm wallet in 1 year. I don’t have any other source of income.

Do I need to file an ITR for this transaction? Is this something I need to report?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
Transfer of Rs 11,000 from mother to son is treated as a tax-free gift under Income Tax Act. Since there is no other income, ITR filing is not mandatory. However, keeping basic bank records as proof of source is advisable for future reference.

No, you do not need to file an ITR or pay taxes on the ₹11,000. Money received from a mother is a tax-free gift, and since you have no other income, you fall well below the mandatory filing limit.

Is there any necessary to report this transaction ?

While you don't need to report it now, it is always a good practice to keep a simple record (like the bank statement showing the transfer) just in case the tax department ever asks about the source of funds in your wallet. For such a small amount, a formal "Gift Deed" is usually unnecessary.

Thanks for clearing my confusion, I really appreciate your help.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details