Confessions of a tv addict_must read

RG - A Helping Hand (Company Secretary) (13867 Points)

02 December 2011  

I’d been addicted to television since I was four years old….actually since the day we bought TV. My elder sister told me that I used to watch anything on Doordarshan ( the national and only channel in India at that time) dished out; like Krishi Darshan, a program for the benefit of farmers where experts solved their problems and suggested better agricultural practices. As I grew older, my attachment with TV grew.

I used to be completely mesmerized with the moving pictures and the characters. It took my family (mostly my sister) a lot of coaxing, cajoling, emotional blackmailing, scolding, and bartering to get me to study and do vacation homework.

My first passion was animation and it still remains so. I simply love cartoons and animation movies.

In this post I want to share some of the happiest moments of my life when I used to get lost in the world or visual media.

Starting with famous series Jungle Book, Baghira was my favorite character…strong and silent characters always appealed to me. Jungle Book was such a hit among children of my generation.

Oh I almost forgot the first ever super hit animation series He-Man!!! It was awesome….”I have the power”

There was an afternoon show featuring characters which were vegetables. Their king was a Brinjal called “Baingan Raja” (Brinjal King) and title track of the show was like Bangain Raja aata hain…

Then I was totally in love with Genie from the series "Arabian Nights featuring Aladdin. It was pure humor mixed with adventure. It was one hour show where half hour was of Aladdin and other half of Little Mermaid.

Then Disney cartoons at 10.30 am on Sundays won hearts of many young and old in India. I loved Ducktales. Talespin was a favourite of my Sister and everyone liked the pirate character (I don’t remember the name) more than Baloo.

Then my second passion are fairy tales and fables, especially witty ones like Akbar Birbal, Vikram Betaal etc. Further, as I became wiser, I started liking some real human characters too like our superstar King Khan who was a TV soap actor then. I liked his serial Circus very much…more than Fauji.

I also like Potli Baba Ki, Tehkikaat, Vyomkash Bakshi, Neem ka Pad, Chitrahaar, Rangoli, Gayab aaya, Stone Boy, Superhit Muqabla, Zabaan Sambhalke, Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne, Dekh Bhai Dekh and the list goes on and on……..…

Doordarshan also telecasted short films and videos in public interest and to celebrate culture and heritage of India and to promote unity in diversity. Those videos are evergreen and remembered by all who are of the Doordarshan generation.