NRI since March 2023 – resident savings account and FEMA compliance

Hi All, I have moved from India to the USA in March 2023 for employment and have not visited India since then. I currently live and work in the USA. Still have an Indian resident savings account. I also have Indian FDs, a residential property generating rental income, mutual funds, shares/ETFs, PPF and Sukanya Samriddhi accounts. Want to regularize everything according to current FEMA/RBI rules. Could someone please clarify:
1. Should my resident savings account be redesignated as an NRO account?
2. Should I open an NRE account as well?
3. What should happen to my existing FDs?
4. Can I continue holding my existing mutual funds and shares?
5. Can I continue making new investments in India, and through which type of account?
6. What should I do about PPF and Sukanya accounts opened before I became an NRI?
7. Can rental income and home-loan payments continue through an NRO account? 
Also I will be in USA for 1 or 2 years and will return back to India .Would appreciate guidance based on the current FEMA/RBI rules.

Replies (2)
Quick Summary
This discussion addresses the financial and compliance needs of an NRI who moved to the USA in March 2023. It covers questions about converting a resident savings account and Fixed Deposits to NRO status, opening an NRE account, managing existing investments like mutual funds and shares, and handling rental income. Guidance is also sought on PPF and Sukanya accounts, with a focus on adhering to current FEMA/RBI regulations for a smooth transition back to resident status in India.

To regularize your financial profile in India under FEMA, inform your bank to convert your resident savings account and FDs into NRO status, update your Demat and Mutual Fund KYC records to NRI status, and route all Indian-sourced earnings like rent through the NRO account. Opening an NRE account allows you to seamlessly transfer US savings tax-free back to India, while existing PPF accounts can be maintained until maturity. Since your relocation is planned for 1 to 2 years, keeping these standard NRO/NRE structures active will ensure full legal compliance and allow a smooth transition back to resident status when you return to India.

Yes  , NRO & NRE account is must for NRI .NRO account is  to manage income in India, and NRE account is to manage money transferred from abroad ,  further Income in NRO account is taxable and income in NRE account is  tax free. 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
04 September 2026
CA inter Or ca finalist

A Jaiswal and company

Lucknow

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details