Cash deposit by customer in current ac

Dear Sir,

Customer deposit cash in current account as a advance for material.
please suggest which entry in books of account is write.
Bank account. Dr.
customer account cr. (receipt entry)

Cash account Dr.
customer account. cr. (receipt entry)

Bank account. Dr.
cash account Cr. ( contra entry)
Replies (13)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies the proper accounting treatment for a customer depositing cash into a current account as an advance payment for materials. The consensus leans towards treating it as a cash receipt, with specific journal entries recommended to accurately reflect the transaction in the books of account. The conversation also touches upon practical considerations and potential software glitches in recording such entries.

Bank a/c

To Advance a/c

Bank a/c dr
to Customer Advance a/c
Not agree with Yasaswi ji and sourav. It should be treated as cash receipt and your 2nd and 3rd entry shall be passed.

It is correct, I didn’t think about the operations. 

Wait a minute, what happens to editing on caclubindia.com ?

I was thinking final accounts and not ledge accounts @ Naveen Kumar

@ yasaswi, what's your opinion now?

@ Lotus Choudhary, The last two entries are correct like u pointed out. To think, mind can play tricks sometimes, but when you sit in front of tally, this is what I will do pragmatically. ERP / work processes overrides subconsciousness or gist and other accounting things. 

Yeah. agreed.

Glad to know that. Sometimes, ppl are preoccupied, can’t understand the question or answer it in a hurry without analysing the situation while at home. Anyways, accountants are allowed to make mistakes and that is why materiality threshold and rectification of errors standard exists. In India it can be enforced 100% because Indian depression rates due to hot climate isn’t high. No one can be blamed.

Forgot to tell my experiences, I graduated as a topper of this world ie., 100 marks in all modules and joined a company. Soon, when I enter this transaction

Bank a/c 1090

To Sales a/c 1090

due to some technical glitch, the software recorded it as 

Bank a/c 1000

To Sales a/c 1090

Initially it is fine, but down the lane, every company has some problem like this, I don’t care what it is until corrections team finds out about it. I studied to work and not to tire myself on technical issue because it will make me tired to be alert 24/7, but I am willing to do my best. This theory is applicable to everyone and people feel the same like I said. 

 

Thank you Lotus choudhary & yasaswi gomes Sir,
You're welcome

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Related Topics :

Loading
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Audit Executive

Thammana & Associates

Srikakulam

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details