Calculation of ltcg-sale of property

I have a property in Gurgaon, which was purchased in FY 1995-96. I paid an amount of around 44 lacs.

I now wish to dispose of the property and expect to receive about Rs 2.5 cr. As per my knowledge, the LTCG is to calculated as under

     Sale price - indexed value of purchase price on date of sale (say FY 2019-20)

     ie 2.5 cr - ( 44 lac x ( index  yr 2019 - index yr 1995)

However, I have been informed that for property in Gurgaon, I need to have the property assessed to determine its value in FY 2001 and thereafter calculate its present value by multiplying the assessed value by (index in 2019-20 - index in 2001-02)

I am unable to understand the need to have the property value assessed as above since I have exact details of purchase cost.

Could someone kindly clarify and explain how I have to calculate the LTCG.

Thanks

Replies (4)
you will need to arrive at the market value of the property as on Apr 2001 from a valuation officer. then the market value as on Apr 2001 and the cost whichever is higher is to be taken as cost of acquisition and accordingly indexed and capital gains to be calculated
where the capital asset become the property of the assessee before 1-4-2001 then, cost of acquisition means the cost of acquisition of the asset to the assessee OR the fair market value of the asset on 1-4-2001 at the option of the assessee (but it is advisable, you can take which ever is higher. so, it will reduce your tax liability )

LTCG =
gross sales consideration
less
expenditure incurred wholly and exclusively for the purpose of such transfer
less
indexed cost of acquisition
less
indexed cost of improvement
Thanks Mr Karandikar and Mr Imran. Issue has been resolved
you are most welcome dilip khosla

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Assistant

Malhotra Rajesh & Associates

New Delhi

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details