Ca final topper 2011 interview

ravi jain (CA) (1662 Points)

28 July 2011  

• SOURCE:  https://www.careers360.com/news/6461-CA-topper-Arti-Jain-from-Bikaner-Articleship-is-a-must                                                                     CA topper Arti Jain from Bikaner: "Articleship is a must"
  • by Ajeet Singh
  • print
  • |
  • Comment(s): 18

THE Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), today, announced the results for the Chartered Accountants Final Exam. And the results threw up two surprises! One, all three toppers are women. Two, Arti Jain from Bikaner, a small town in Rajasthan bagged the All India second rank, clearing the exam in the minimum possible duration of four years! This makes her a CA within a year of completing graduation. Careers360 caught up with Arti to know her success mantras, preparation strategy and tips for CA aspirants.

Fast Facts
Name: Arti Jain
Exam: CA Final All-India
Score: 588/800
Roll No. 47305

Q. Arti, congratulations on your success. Did you expect to be among the toppers?
A. I didn’t expect such a high rank. I was confident about clearing the exam but never expected to secure a second place. I logged on and saw the result but did not notice the rank. When my friends called me then I realised that what I had accomplished!

Q. What made you decide to become a CA? Tell us about your background.
A. I belong to a business family in Bikaner. My family background oriented me towards business and accounting. My younger brother is also preparing for the CA. After schooling from Sofia school, Bikaner, I decided to take the CA exam as it matched my aptitude and is a rewarding career. I enrolled for Common Proficiency Test (CPT) in the first year of B.Com. Last year I completed my graduation from Jain Girls Degree College, Bikaner.

Q. What was your study routine?
A. I never believed in studying 17-18 hours a day but was very regular. I studied for 5-6 hours everyday without fail. And so my schedule wasn’t very different during exam days. I slotted my study routine early in the morning waking up at 5 am. Anyways, I can’t keep my eyes open beyond 10 at night.

Q.How did you prepare for the exam? Any special strategy adopted by you?
A. Some people ignore Articleship to focus on theory subjects. But I took articleship very seriously and it enhanced my practical knowledge and its applicability.  It also helped me to understand complex theoretical concepts. I ensured that I give proper time and attention to all the papers. The routine required a lot of discipline and time management. There was no special strategy as such.  It was a focused self study.

Q. Do you think coaching is important?
A. Of course! For an exam like CA, one requires regular coaching and guidance. In my case I got guidance from my graduation teacher. I also got in touch with a few coaching centres in my city and procured study material from the centres and various other sources. Good coaching matters but self- study and a disciplined study routine is equally important.

Q. You never thought of going to a city like Delhi for coaching like many other students?
A. The big city does matter in many ways and my younger brother is also doing CA coaching in Delhi. But I completed my entire education and preparation in Bikaner. I think there are enough examples to show that in competitive exams like CA, students from remote areas and small places can also prove themselves.

Q. Who inspired you the most?
A. The biggest inspiration has been my parents and family. I belong to a traditional Jain family where we live in a big joint family. I find such kind of environment very supportive.

Q. What do you like to do when you are not studying?
A. Honestly speaking, I do not get much time from studies. Till school, I was very active in extra-curricular activities like debates and in drawing competitions. Now, I will try and devote time towards my hobbies.

Q. What was your study schedule?
A. I used to take up three subjects a day. I am an early riser. I finish my studies by 11 pm. I had a good grasp over practical portion of the syllabus. My personal favourites areg Accounts and Costing. I never counted the number of study hours. The focus was on topics to be completed and not on how many hours I have studied.

Q. Your advice to CA aspirants.
A.Hard work never go unrewarded. There are plenty of opportunities surrounding us, the only need is to make sincere efforts from our side.

Artis suggested readings:

• Munish Bhandari for Law
  • Bangur & Bangur for IDT
  • The Institute's Study Modules & Practise Manuals for all other subjects