Are contractor TDS rates applicable for Sole Proprietors?

Hi there!

I run an internet services company that is a registered sole proprietorship in Bangalore and I have an urgent accounting query.

Now since this is a sole proprietorship, we do not have employees and projects are subcontracted, or outsourced to individuals across the country.

Now I need to know if this is enough to qualify me as a subcontractor/contractor. 

This is because I read that contractors/subcontractors according to 194C  have a TDS deduction of 1% only if it is an Individual. I am the sole proprietor, so does this apply to me?

Reason: Have a few transactions that need to come in but I have put it on hold because they claim they must deduct 10% TDS from the payment, but I think I come under purview of contractor since it is a sole proprietorship and I have no employees. What is the right amount of TDS that they should deduct ?

Thanks!

Neel


Attached File : 55 1 tds rates wef 1 jul 10.xlsx downloaded: 427 times
Replies (2)

Was hoping someone from this forum would be able to help me out! I've tried to find an answer to this but I haven't got anything yet. :(

yes, for sole proprietorship units the rate would be 1%, but you must have to submit pan copy to the deductor otherwise it will attract 20% TDS

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 08 October 2026
ARTICLE TRAINEE

S.B.G. & CO. CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details