COUNCIL GUIDELINES FOR CONVERSION OF CA FIRMS INTO LLPS
(Guidelines No.1-CA (7)/03/2011, dated 4th November, 2011)
In terms of the Council decision dated 14 July, 2011, following guidelines for conversion of CA firms into LLPs and constitution of separate LLPs by the practicing Chartered Accountants have been finalized which are applicable for conversion of CA firms into LLPs or formation of new LLPs by the members in practice of the Institute subject to the provisions of the Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) Act, 2008 and Rules & Regulations framed there under:-
(A) Conversion of CA firms into LLPs
1. All existing CA firms who want to convert themselves into LLPs are required to follow the provisions of Chapter-X of the Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008 read with Second Schedule to the said Act containing provisions of conversion from existing firms into LLP.
2. In terms of Rule 18(2) (xvi) of LLP Rules- 2009, if the proposed name of LLP includes the words `Chartered Accountant’ or chartered Accountants, as the case may be, as part of the proposed name, the same shall be referred to the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) by the Registrar of LLP and it shall be allowed by the Registrar only if the Secretary, ICAI approves it.
3. If the proposed name of LLP of CA firm resemble with any other non-CA entity as per the naming Guidelines under LLP Act and its Rules, the proposed name of LLP of CA firms may include the word `Chartered Accountant’ or `Chartered Accountants’, as the case may be in the name of the LLP itself and the Registrar, LLP may allow the same name, subject to compliance to Rule 18(2) (xvi) of LLP Rules as referred above.
4. For the purpose of registration of LLP with ICAI under regulation 190 of the Chartered Accountants Regulations, 1988, the partners of the firm shall apply in ICAI Form No. ‘117’ and the ICAI Form No. ‘18’ along with copy of name registration received from the Registrar of LLP and submit the same with the concerned Regional office of the ICAI. These Forms shall contain all details of the officers and other particulars as called for together with the signatures of all partners or authorized partner of the proposed LLP.
5. The names of the CA firms registered with the ICAI shall remain reserved for the partners as one of the options for LLP names subject to the provisions of LLP Act, Rules and Regulations framed there under.
6. The following guidelines relating to seniority and other criteria shall be followed for registration of LLP with ICAI.
(i) Where two similar or identical or nearly similar firm names (whether the partners of such firms are same or not) have been registered by ICAI, under the purposed LLP, only one such firm name shall be approved and remaining firm registered with ICAI, either desires to convert into LLP or not, a change in the firm name shall be required.
(ii) The name of the LLP may be like `X & Co. LLP’ or `X & Associates LLP’ and no other suffix shall be approved and registered by ICAI.
(iii) The newly converted CA LLPs registered with ICAI shall be allowed to work only in terms of Section 2(2) of the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949 and the object of LLP to be incorporated in Form-2 and Form 17 of the LLP rules, 2009 or in LLP agreement, shall be in the nature of Professional Services allowed under Section 2(2) of the Chartered Accountants Act, 1949. LLP shall be subject to the same regulations, as if they were in partnership firm. Mere conversion into LLP does not give any privileges, which were not earlier with the CA firms.
(iv) Inter-se seniority among the firms shall be given to LLP as per existing policy of ICAI. In other words, LLPs shall carry the same seniority, as the firm shall otherwise have under the existing policy of ICAI. In case of merger of 2 LLPs, same rules as applicable to firms merging shall apply.
(v)The non converted firms shall also remain on the same position of seniority in relation to converted LLPs as the converted LLPs shall have the same inter-se seniority as the firms had earlier to conversion.
7. These guidelines of conversion of CA firms into LLP shall also be applicable to the conversion of proprietary firm into LLP subject to the provisions of LLP Act, Rules and Regulations framed there under. The conversion of proprietary firm shall be by way of incorporation of new LLPs.
Check the Attached file for full Guidelines...