Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Whose name I should draw cheque for paying INCOME TAX?

Indian Patriot (Audit Assist) (35 Points)

28 April 2008  

To whom should cheque be drawn for paying Income tax? I am having Rs 10000 tax liability for AY 2008-2009. In whose name should I draw cheque?


 10 Replies

Shefali Bajpai (Article Assitant & CA Final Student)   (1148 Points)
Replied 28 April 2008

If the TAX is being Deposited in RBI then draw it on its name for example Reserve Bank of India, Kanpur.

If the you are Depositing the Tax in the Branch in which you have your Bank account and which does TAX collection then just mention YOURSELF. 

However, I personally feel these days the best option is to make the payment online and get the challan at once than by making payment through cheque and waiting for three days.



Sathyanarayana.B (Senior Executive- Finance)   (49 Points)
Replied 29 April 2008

If you write " income tax account " is sufficient.

jatin kapoor (CA FINAL) (1586 Points)
Replied 29 April 2008

you should write e.g. state bank income tax account or icici bank income tax account etc.


Hari Venkata Ramana (M.Com, AICWA) (124 Points)
Replied 29 April 2008

You should invariably remit your IT through Challan in any bank.  If you are deposing the IT in the bank where you are having your account, then you have to issue cheque in favour of your bank branch iteself.  do not forget to mention your PAN No. on the challan ward/circle and TDS authority code. otherwise your Remittance will not be properly recognised at the time of assessment by your assessing authority.

Paras Nath Chauhan (student) (48 Points)
Replied 29 April 2008

Just write down the name of the bank and income tax on cheque and deposit into bank WITH RESPECTIVE CHALAN

for example if you want to deposit it into Punjab Nationa Bnak then cheque will be in favour of " PNB A/C INCOME TAX "

Indian Patriot (Audit Assist) (35 Points)
Replied 29 April 2008


Mohd Yaseen (Student CA IPC / IPCC) (6 Points)
Replied 15 September 2015

Dear Friends,

for payment of advance tax through offline, can we draw cheque on HDFC CBDT(if bank is hdfc)?


1 Like

Randheer Kumar (Accounts Manager) (58 Points)
Replied 06 December 2016

Its sufficient that u can mention A/c Income Tax

Or u can mention bank name also


SBI A/c Income Tax


PNB A/c Income Tax

Or many more banks in which Income Tax holds A/c's of them..

Indira Priyadarsini Kota (Student) (590 Points)
Replied 29 January 2021

Can we still pay income tax through a cheque?

Prachi Bansal (3089 Points)
Replied 25 February 2021

hello Indira, 

In my opinion income tax can be paid via cheque or cash both.

If you wish to make the payment by a cheque, you have to issue a cheque in favor of 'Income Tax Department.'

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags