Tax on income from previous employeer

Hi All,

I am a new born member to this forum. I was looking for an expert opinion on the sitution in which I am caught now and I found that this will be the place I will find solutions on my accounts related query.

Coming to my question. I am a salaried person. I have joined my current company 3 months back. After joining I got tax tax calculation details from the accounts department for the rest of the financial year which (4 months) based on my new salary and they started deducting tax as per that calculation. The tax amount is not very high but as during my previous employment excess tax has been deducted I decided to furnish details of earnings and TDS during my previous employement so that TDS in current employment can be reduced.

Once after I got the income and TDS details from my previous employer I furnished the details to the accounts department of my current employer in reply of which they sent details of recalculated tax. And when I saw it I was shocked to see that they have included the earning from my previous employement to the current earnings and the final tax amount came as 5 times more the previous calculation.

On equiring about it, I got reply that those earning should essentially be included no matter the tax has been paid for that or not.

Here my question is, why should I pay tax twice for the income from my previous employer (when Tax for it is already dedcucted)  and why my current employer should cut the tax the amount which it had not paid me at all?

Here I would like to know from the experts that is there a any rule which allows a company to deduct tax on the earnings from previous employment?

Friends, please reply me on this at the earliest as the End Of FY is very near and I want to get it clear before that otherwise I will have to fight to the govt to get th excess TDS back.

Also please provide some legal source of information so that I can prove my point with valid and legal proofs....

Looing forward to a favorable reply from ASAP.

Thanking you all in advance,

Chetan Ranpariya

Replies (4)

 

Well if your tax has excess deducted than you can file ITR and take refund.

After submitting form 12B from previous employer calculation of tax liability will be as…

Let’s suppose salary earned from previous employer 5lac

And previous employer deduct tds of 35020/-

And salary drawn from current employer of 4 months 2lac

Its current employer responsibility to consider salary drawn you by previous employer if you submit form 12B to company.

Current employer will calculate tax liability on 5lac+2lac = 7lac

Tax liability comes to 76220-35020 = 41200

Current employer have to deduct tax 41200.00

Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the instant reply.

The calculation you sent is correct. But I have question that what if both the companies have different compoents on tax exemption.

In my case my previous salary structure has more tax exemption components such as telephone bills, Internet bills, Books etc. and as I produced bills of all of them I got good relief on tax hence my TDS is less over there.

With my current salary structure there are no exemptions at all except HRA and Medical (which are by default there in any slary structure). Now when my previous earnings are added to the current earnings they calculate the tax accoring to the new salary structure hence the total earning goes high and tax amount is also goes high which is actually, I feel, is not a correct calculation. Moreover tax deducted during my previous employement is also not considered here and hence not deducted from the final tax amount.

This is just my curitosity that why my current company should consider the previous earnings at all if the tax for the same has been deducted already (in face in my case the excess tax is deducted)? If the tax is not paid properly (as stated in your example) then they can deduct the tax.

And what if I had not furnished the details of my previous earnings at all as some of my coullegues?

Sorry for the writting an essay but I am putting my points here so that I can clealry explain situation..

Thanks again Pankaj..

 

Thans and regards,
Chetan Ranpariya

 

Your current employer should not deduct tax on salary drawn by previous employer because previous employer has already deduct tds don’t worry just file ITR and get back refund.

Hi Pankaj,

Again thaks for the quick reply and the clarifying the doubt.

I have got some clear picture now about the things.... let me share my understanding with the accounts department and get the things clear.

Thanks a ton again.. Pankaj...

thanks and regards,

Chetan Ranpariya

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Account Executive

Elite Taxation

New Delhi

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details