GST Plus - Get Daily updates,support, whatsapp Group & reply to GST Notices etc.!! Call : 011-411-70713 !!

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Nand (service)     19 July 2021

Senior citizen self assessment tax due date

I understand, Senior Citizens with salary & interest income only (those who have attained the age of 60 during the FY 2020-21), are not required to pay any advance tax from FY 2020-21 (AY 2021-22) AND need to remit only self-assessment tax.  If the net tax to be paid is more than Rs. 1 lac, which is the last date and whether the tax has to be remitted with filing of return ?

13 Replies

Sourav

Sourav (Student)     20 July 2021

Yes you can pay tax while filing ITR
CA Rashmi Gandhi

CA Rashmi Gandhi (Chartered Accountant)     20 July 2021

Last date is 30 September cand you have to pay tax at the time of filing of IT return.
Sourav

Sourav (Student)     20 July 2021

Agree
Shankar Rugge

Shankar Rugge   20 July 2021

But it should be less than 1 lakh else u have to pay int

Nand

Nand (service)     20 July 2021

Thank you all for the reply.   In case the tax payable is more than Rs. 1 lac, whether tax roughly calculated at

95% can be remitted before 31st July and to go in for actual filing before 30th September.  Kindly clarify

CMA Poornima Madhava

CMA Poornima Madhava (CMA)     20 July 2021

If you file your return by 31st July 2021, then all tax payments made up to the date of filing of return would be treated as advance tax. No interest is payable in this case.

But if you intend to file ITR after 31st July 2021, then if the tax liability is >1lac, then you are required to pay tax with interest at the time of filing of ITR.

CA Rashmi Gandhi

CA Rashmi Gandhi (Chartered Accountant)     21 July 2021

You have to file return by 31 July to avoid interest after that interest levied if tax due is more than Rs.1 lakh
Joseph P Varghese

Joseph P Varghese (Retired)     29 July 2021

I read on the Incometax site that:

A resident senior citizen who does not have any income from business or profession is not required to pay advance tax and he can pay the entire tax by way of self-assessment tax. For computing the limit of Rs. 1 lakh (as specified above), the self-assessment tax paid by a senior citizen on or before 31-07-2021 shall be deemed to be the advance tax. 

So I presume if the total tax of senior citizen is around say, Rs 150000/-, and if one pays Rs. 100000 on or before July 31, 2021, then this payment in respect of the senior citizen will be treated as advance tax and if the balance tax (in this case Rs 50000) is less than Rs. 100000/- then no interest will be charged for delayed payment. But I would need this to be clarified.

Joseph P Varghese

Joseph P Varghese (Retired)     29 July 2021

In case my tax as a senior citizen is Rs.1.50 lakhs and I pay Rs. 1 lakh before July 31, 2021, then my tax liability to be paid before filing ITR2 will not be charged to delayed interest, isnt it?

I have no income from Business or profession.

1 Like
CA Rashmi Gandhi

CA Rashmi Gandhi (Chartered Accountant)     29 July 2021

Yes absolutely correct.

Nand

Nand (service)     29 July 2021

Where this part of the provision is appearing ??

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags