Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramya (cafinal student)     25 August 2009

Sec.226 Disqualification of Auditors

Please anybody can Clarify my Doubt !

In a company, a firm Xyz & co are Chartered Accountants. In this partners are  X & Y. X always signs the Audit report.  Y buys Goods for Rs.10,000 from The company their Client. And the Bill is outstanding as on 31st march. Is Xyz & co disqualified to be auditors of the company. Any way Y does not Sign The audit report. Please clarify me , that whether The firm is disqualified or Y is disqualified ?

Ramya

14 Replies

CA Manish K Dhoot

CA Manish K Dhoot (CA, B. Com, NCFM, CPCM)     26 August 2009

If any partmer of firm is disquilified then whole firm will be disqualified from acting as Auditor.

1 Like
Ankur Garg

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)     26 August 2009

Hello Ramya,

In your case the firm of auditor is very much disqualified with in the meaning of 226(3)(d) as one of the partner falls in the clause (d) of section 226 as mentioned above and due to the disqualification of Mr. Y whole firm stands disqualified from acting as Auditor.

It does not make any diff. as to who is signing the Audit Report.

Best Regards

Ratti Wahal

Ratti Wahal (Company Secretary)     26 August 2009

Dear Ramya,

As per Section 226 (3) (d) of the Companies Act, 1956 'a person who is indebted to the Company for an amount exceeding one thousand rupees, or who has given any gurantee or provided any security in connection with the indebtedness of any third person to the company for any amount exceeding one thousand rupees shall not be qualified for appointment as auditoir of a company'.

By virtue of the aforesaid provision it is clear that if a person who is indebted to the Company for an amount exceeding Rs.1,000/- he/ she shall not be qualified to act as an Auditor of the concerned company.

In my opinion, the intention of the legislature at the time of adding the disqualifications of the  auditors seems to keep the interested auditors away from the giving their view on the financial performance (accounts) of the Company. That's why they had putted a limit of an amount exceeding sum of Rs. 1000/-.

In your case, as Mr. Y has owned sum of Rs. 10,000/-, which is outstanding as on 31st March. Therefore, in my opinion, the liablity of Mr. Y towards the company made him and the entire firm disqualifed to act as an auditor of the concerned company. Further, it is immaterial whether he/ she had signed the Auditor's Report or not.   

I hope you would find the above in order.

Regards,

1 Like
Sandeep Marathe

Sandeep Marathe (CA Final)     26 August 2009

As per Section 226 (3) (d) a person who is indebted for more Rs.1000/- to any company or entity can't be appointed as Auditor of that company or entity. This disqualification applies to all the partners in the CA Firm, irrespective whether they sign the audit report or not.

Regards.

1 Like
ashish gupta

ashish gupta ( student)     26 August 2009

firm will also be disqualified.

pragati singhal

pragati singhal (NOW A FINAL STUDENT)     26 August 2009

AS per Sec. 226, if a person owes a sum exceeding Rs. 1000/- in a company, he is not qualified to be appointed as auditor of that company.

However in case of a firm where all partners are CA, any partner who owes a sum exceeding Rs. 1000/-, the firm is disqualified to be appointed as auditor.

1 Like
CA Suresh kolluru

CA Suresh kolluru (CA,CS,M.com)     26 August 2009

Agreeing With Pragati

CA Devanshi Gandhi (Ajani)

CA Devanshi Gandhi (Ajani) (FCA DISA Mcom CIFRS & LLB)     26 August 2009

firm will be disallowed

Ankush Juneja

Ankush Juneja (Trainee)     26 August 2009

Is it is necessary to sign the project report?if not signed what are its consequences?Please let me know itz urgent...

Ramya

Ramya (cafinal student)     26 August 2009

Hai guys,

Thank you for clarifying my Query.

Ramya

jugal chandak

jugal chandak (article)     01 September 2009

226(3) - firm will also disqualify if any of the partner disqualify ...........so auditor has to vacate the office

Batul

Batul (Article assistant)     29 January 2010

According to Sec 226(3)"A person who is indebted to the company for an amount exceeding 1000 rupees amounts to disqualification. and even if a single partner becomes disqualified under this ground the firm in which he is a partner also becomes disqualified
ram shankar

ram shankar (chartered accountant)     09 August 2013

please define section 226(2) in lucid language

Ashok J

Ashok J (CA Final)     16 August 2013

Hello everyone, Plz think of this issue.

"Disqualification" u/s 226 arisesAT THE TIME of appointment. Say Mr.Y was liable to pay Rs. 10000 as on 31st march, but cleared his liability before AGM, he as well as firm will be eligible for re-appointment  at AGM.

I have come across this answer in Padhuka Audit book. The Interpretations differ due to practical issues.

Thanks

Ashok

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags