Sap fico for cas

DITTAKAVI SRIKRISHNA (ACA & AICWA)     05 February 2012

DITTAKAVI SRIKRISHNA
ACA & AICWA 
 1 likes  20 points

| My Other Post

Hi,

I am Krishna, a qualified CA & ICWA with post qualification experience of 10 years in Accounts & Finance Dept of BSNL (A PSU Telecom). Now I am at the age of 38 years. Could please suggest me on the following?

1) I am planning to move to SAP FI career. Is it worthy to go for SAP at this age ?

2) My present CTC is Rs.700,000 p.a. If I invest for Rs.350,000 on SAP certification, whether it will give me better career prospects ?

3) I am ready to work hard for the better career. In BSNL, I am vexed with the Govt. working set up and dead slow career progression. So, I thought of going for career shift.

4) But some people are suggesting me, that, "Not to go for SAP and your PSU career is better".

5) I had second thought of going for CA practice.

6) Or, Can I go for a job in Pvt sector in the core area of Accounts & Finance (Not way related to SAP)?

Please give me your valuable suggestions. 

Thanks in Advance.

KRISHNA, 9490106255

avater

prerna (student)     05 February 2012

prerna
student 
 4 likes  91 points

View Profile | My Other Post

sap fico module will surely give you the edge , as all the mnc are on SAP mode, especially the mfctring cos

avater

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)     06 February 2012

Sheli Sehrawat
SAP Business Consultant 
 191 likes  767 points

Hi Krishna

Good to know that you are willing to move ahead and shed your PSU-employee veil for better career progression.

About your options and your inclination for an SAP career let me tell you that you have come to the right spot. SAP will be the most relevant option for a career growth at your stage.

Let us first analyse your other options:

1. Continuing PSU career – You should go for this option only if you are happy with the slow growth that this job is giving you. Though you might miss the ease and relaxation of working in a PSU, I am sure you will get better working environment in other sectors.
  2. CA Practice – It’s the most secure and lucrative option in the long run. But your own practice will require your sincere efforts and attention for first 2-3 years with lots of perspiration. You can’t expect profits in this period. Moreover, you will have to shell out money for hiring infrastructure, employees and gathering good projects. But after some 5 years, you will start to see the fruits of your efforts and these fruits will multiply with each coming year. As a matter of fact, the money you will invest in SAP certification (3.5 Lacs) will be sufficient for you to survive the blow of the initial period.
  3. Finance & Accounts job in Pvt. Sector – I don’t want to stress on the pros and cons of it. In a nutshell, this option is no better than the PSU career you have.

Now coming back to SAP career, I think before rushing for the certification, you should first try and devote time in planning things. Check out with HR consultancies and companies offering SAP consultancy whether they take experienced accounting professionals as SAP consultants (Because I know a lady who first worked as a cost accountant in a manufacturing organisation for 9 years and then later she moved into TCS as SAP CO consultant without even getting certified). And if things turn out fine, you can find a good career switch as a SAP consultant without spending a single penny.

SAP is one of the highly paid profiles in IT companies and you have an edge given your core accounting experience of 10 years. As far as I know BSNL has implemented SAP for its Sub-ledger accounting and Trial Balance generation. So I am assuming that you have prior ERP exposure which is a highly beneficial point for you.

Looking at your current package and comparing it with the SAP profile, I am sure you will easily get a jump of 50%-70%. Try and explore the hidden opportunities and I am sure you will get something good.

All the best for your efforts

Regards

Sheli Sehrawat

2 Like

Amit Goyal (Manager)     07 May 2012

Amit Goyal
Manager 
 3 likes  35 points

Hello Sheli, i just passed my CA Exam and 1 company is offering me profile as consultant SAP FICO module. Should i accept this as i dont know any thing about this profile and career growth?

1 Like
avater

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)     07 May 2012

Sheli Sehrawat
SAP Business Consultant 
 191 likes  767 points

Originally posted by : Amit Goyal

Hello Sheli, i just passed my CA Exam and 1 company is offering me profile as consultant SAP FICO module. Should i accept this as i dont know any thing about this profile and career growth?

Dear Amit,

This being your first career break, its very important for you to know what is SAP and how your career will move in this profile. Please read the following thread thoroughly and feel free to revert in case of any query.

/forum/details.asp?mod_id=169550&offset=1

Regards

Sheli Sehrawat

1 Like

Amit Goyal (Manager)     07 May 2012

Amit Goyal
Manager 
 3 likes  35 points

Thaks for the info. can u please tell me about career growth because you are alredy in this for profile after passing CA.

avater

Anuja Khasnis (Asst.Manager Finance & Accounts)     20 June 2012

Anuja Khasnis
Asst.Manager Finance & Accounts 
 23 points

Hi Sheli,

This is Anuja.I am a CA with 7 yrs of post qualification experience.I was into hard core finance and Accounts back in India. I have moved to California now. I wanted some info about FICO.I want to start my career in SAP FICO.I was always interested in it and I have gained considerable knowledge pertaining to the FI module ,asset management,audit module.I am looking forward for a certification in SAP FICO.Can you guide me on the modules which I should take to start with.I plan to work as an consultant in future as I loved to be a part of implementation team in my Company. Also, I wanted to know where I can take training in California.I dont want to go to private companies who are giving certifications.In India I knew Siemens used to offer a course in these modules.Do you have any list of training centres in USA.

Thanks,

Warm Regards,

Anuja

avater

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)     20 June 2012

Sheli Sehrawat
SAP Business Consultant 
 191 likes  767 points

Originally posted by : Anuja Khasnis

Hi Sheli,

This is Anuja.I am a CA with 7 yrs of post qualification experience.I was into hard core finance and Accounts back in India. I have moved to California now. I wanted some info about FICO.I want to start my career in SAP FICO.I was always interested in it and I have gained considerable knowledge pertaining to the FI module ,asset management,audit module.I am looking forward for a certification in SAP FICO.Can you guide me on the modules which I should take to start with.I plan to work as an consultant in future as I loved to be a part of implementation team in my Company. Also, I wanted to know where I can take training in California.I dont want to go to private companies who are giving certifications.In India I knew Siemens used to offer a course in these modules.Do you have any list of training centres in USA.

Hi Anuja,

Good to know that you want to move into SAP Consultancy. Your 7 years of domain experience will count a lot. Here's the list of SAP authorised training centers across Asia:

http://www.sap.com/asia/services/education/centres/partners.epx

I don't have access to the link in my office. Toggle around a little in the website, you will find the list of authorised training centers in California as well.

Also, this a post I wrote 8 months back.. /forum/sap-fico-and-cas-169550.asp   read through.. you might find some significant information

"I was always interested in it and I have gained considerable knowledge pertaining to the FI module ,asset management,audit module."  

Because you already have Assets/Audit Module's idea, I would suggest you go for FI certification first. You might not need another certification because once you start working in FI, CO comes along.... then you may learn MM and SD on project as well.

Hope this information helps

Cheers

Sheli

1 Like
avater

Anuja Khasnis (Asst.Manager Finance & Accounts)     21 June 2012

Anuja Khasnis
Asst.Manager Finance & Accounts 
 23 points

Hi Sheli,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.Information posted by you has been very helpful to me. I checked the centres and had a chat with their executive for the courses available. They have provided me the link for the courses. But the executive was not able to explain me the content properly.

He provided me with this link:

https://training3.sap.com/us/en/certification/c_tfin52_64-sap-certified-application-associate-financial-accounting-with-sap-erp-60-ehp4-g#competencies

can you please go through this link .I have some queries regarding that:

On this page you can see a chart with %'s assigned and areas covered.You can see the topics and ways to attain.Each area for e.g Accounts payable is written separately and a course number is given . My question is what is difference in taking the primary course,alternative and other.

Second thing is that TFIN50 is shown in tab Accounts payable and General Ledger.So is it that if I take TFIN50 it will include both AP and GL?.I am not getting this.Can you please explain me.

Thanks,

Warm Regards,

Anuja

avater

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)     22 June 2012

Sheli Sehrawat
SAP Business Consultant 
 191 likes  767 points

Originally posted by : Anuja Khasnis

Hi Sheli,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.Information posted by you has been very helpful to me. I checked the centres and had a chat with their executive for the courses available. They have provided me the link for the courses. But the executive was not able to explain me the content properly.

He provided me with this link:

https://training3.sap.com/us/en/certification/c_tfin52_64-sap-certified-application-associate-financial-accounting-with-sap-erp-60-ehp4-g#competencies

can you please go through this link .I have some queries regarding that:

On this page you can see a chart with %'s assigned and areas covered.You can see the topics and ways to attain.Each area for e.g Accounts payable is written separately and a course number is given . My question is what is difference in taking the primary course,alternative and other.

Second thing is that TFIN50 is shown in tab Accounts payable and General Ledger.So is it that if I take TFIN50 it will include both AP and GL?.I am not getting this.Can you please explain me.

Thanks,

Warm Regards,

Anuja

Hi Anuja... I went through the link... 

You see they have maintained 3 different types of courses based on the prior experience of the student. “Primary” being the most comprehensive setup because it includes all the configurations, processes and reports. “Alternate” program is 2 levels below the “Primary” because it only takes you through basic configurations. And “Other” is the very basic where they will only cover how business processes are mapped in SAP software. You can see how Audience, Essentials, Prerequisites are varying in each program.

Further, difference between TFIN50 and TFIN52  or AC200 and AC201/202 seems to be that of a stage in one program. Like they will first cover TFIN50 then only you should be taken forward to TFIN52.. I don’t know if they are mutually exclusive.. They seem to be though... They have bifurcated the total SAP FI in batches where each batch is meant for a particular kind of audience.

I think it’s better to pen down your queries and ask the customer service representative in the academy.

Hope the information helps

Regards

Sheli

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »