Repayment of housing loan

Hi,

If a person having only salary income has repaid housing loan what is deductible u/s 80C? Is it principal amount alone? If this may be the case and the person claims deduction u/s24 in respect of interest paid then there will be a loss from house property.which ITR form is applicable in this case? Is it ITR2? Pl.clarify.

Replies (11)
If person has paid only principal amount of housing loan then ITR form 1 will be applicable. but on other hand if he has paid principal amount of housing loan as well as interest on housing loan then ITR form 2 will be applicable.
Hi! The deduction u/s 80C is only towards repayment of principal amount of the loan.
ITR - 2 is applicable. Because in every case when housing loan principal is repaid, some amount of interest would also be there. Interest loss can be claimed under House Property, therefore, form ITR_2 is to be filed.
Yes, the repayment of principal amount is deductible subject to maximum of Rs.100000(along with other eligible items) u/s80C. Use Form 2.
Yes ITR - 2 Brajesh Agarwal FCA
first thing . when a person pay interest on houseing loan the amount of interest is claimed as a loss u/s 24-b of income tax act.amount of interest is shown in negative under head house property negative amount is ajusted against the salary balance salary is gross taxable income. now we claim deduction u/s 80-c for payment of principal amount . total value of 80-c is deducted from gross taxable salary. net taxable salary is QUALIFY FOR calcluation of tax. itr form 2 is applicable thanks

Dear Sir

I own a house on which I have taken a home loan and already availing tax benefits. I have also purchased an under construction house in 2008-09. I have taken loan from bank under construction link plan. The expected possession is in 2009-10. I have already initiated repayment of the principal and the interest on the loan amount released so far. I would like to know whether

I would be eligible for income tax rebate in respect of the repayments for loan on 2nd house (under construction) in 2008-09?

ITR 2 is the appropriate form for filing return.

By virtue of claiming a deduction interest on housing loan U/s 24 one falls in the category of INcome (negative as the case may be) from House Property.

 

 

I have taken a home loan in 2005 and started EMI in 2005 itself. I got the possession of property in Jan 2008. Till that time I have availed only benefits of Principle repayment. Since I have got the possession, can I claim the benefit of interest repayment for the last 2 years accumulated? Is it that I need to claim 20% of the interest component for the next 5 years? If yes, where should I add this entry in the ITR-2 form ( in my form-16, current years interest repayments are reflected only)

 

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Where is interest on housing loan applicable in form 16?

 

Please given me good advice for this question.

HELLO GURUNATH

U HAVE TO DECLARE THE REPAYMENT OF INTEREST OF THE HOUSE LOAN TO UR EMPLOYER BEFORE HAND.HE WILL SHOW IT IN THE FORM 16 AS LOSS FROM HOUSE PROPERTY (IF UR NOT HAVING ANY INCOME FROM HP).THIS LOSS WILL BE GIVEN SET OFF FROM THE SALARY INCOME IN UR FORM 16.SO U HAVE TO DECLARE IT TO UR EMPLOYER AND HE WILL DO THE REST IN FORM 16

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 11 September 2026
Audit Executive

RBSM Corporate Advisors Private Limited

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details