Postponing a cheque

Hi,

I have a query on calculating my income.  

I received a payment from my previous company under the head Gratuity for that I may be liable to pay tax. Can I postpone the encashing of cheque to next finacial year with the hope that I will have less income next year. Is it legal? 

thanks

Replies (5)
no..... actually the payment is in ur hands so according to merchantile badis of accounting it is ur income now... further, ur previous employer will be showing the amount as expense in revert thereby its ur income.... so show it in this assessment year.

U cannot postpone tax liability by postponing encashing of cheque. As per income tax act u need to pay tax on salary on due r receipt whichever is earlier.

Convincing Reply by Ms.Varalakshmi

Hi

Income earned in one assesment year cannot be postponed to another assesment year.

Check the section 10,(subsection 10) u have exemption, limit available upto Rs 10 lakhs

 

As per the below notification.

DSM/BY/GN-194/10 Notification No. 43/2010 [F.No.20ear0/33/2009-ITA.I], dated 11-6-2010

As per Sec 10 of IT Act you must get exemption of whole amount,since all the employers' now a days are paying within the limit of exemption.

kkm

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
CA Articles

Kothari Jain Patil & Chartered Accountants

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 04 September 2026
Accounts Executive

Hema Yashwanth & Associates

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details