Share on Email

Share More

Memory the backyard.............

BALU.... (CCI STUDENT....)     03 October 2012

BALU....
CCI STUDENT.... 
 5132 likes  44605 points

| My Other Post

HOW OFTEN HAVE we envied the guy with the perfect memory? The one who quotes sections and case laws and recalls Accounting Standards at the drop of a hat? You don`t have to be a Shakuntala Devi to do that. Managing memory is something that you can learn.

Dr.Johnson, the man who compiled the first English dictionary, could commit a page to memory at a glance. That kind of memory is phenomenal and out of the ordinary. Most of us do not have such a memory. Some do not remember numbers. Some have a terrible time remembering routes.

Some forget names easily and get into an awkward spot. Occasionally, almost all of us forget birthdays or where we put our car keys. Human beings, by and large, are said to have identical memory capacities. This however can be managed well or managed badly.

Five types of memory

If you want to manage your memory well, you must first try to understand the five types of memory as propounded by Dr. Murray Grossman.

1. Working memory:
  • You are talking to mom. Simultaneously, you are watching the television and making faces at your kid brother. How is it possible? Enter working memory. Working memory is a very short-term one. It helps you keep many scraps of information in your mind and do many things simultaneously like the computer RAM!
  1. Implicit memory:
  • If you last rode a bicycle 10 years ago and are now fighting shy of riding it, don`t bother. Just jump on to the bike, and presto, your skills are back! You don`t have to re-learn. Dittio for swimming. Once learnt, they are learnt for life; courtesy, implicit memory.

Implicit memory helps you do things without being aware of it. It is this which helps you ruminate over auditing problems while driving home. You are so absorbed in it, that you hardly notice the way home and suddenly you find you have reached your destination! That`s why it is good to constantly let your mind mull. Loss of this memory is a sign of mental deterioration.

1. Remote memory:
  • Quizzers have this memory. Out of the blue, they surprise themselves by coming with an answer. It must have been some scrap of information that they had picked years ago. Unfortunately, remote memory diminishes with age because it may become difficult to retrieve this information from the maze of accumulated information.
  1. Episodic memory:
  • How do you remember where you parked your bike? Or what food you took last Sunday? Or the result of the 1996 World cup semi-final between India and Sri Lanka? Enter episodic memory. If you can chug in information in an emotionally charged form, it is often well remembered. Who can ever forget the result of that World Cup semifinal, tinged as it was with pathos?
  1. Semantic memory:
  • The memory of words and symbols and what they mean is the kind of memory that is unlikely to be lost. They represent our general knowledge of the world. Your are unlikely to mistake a cow for a cat or a pig for dog!

9 Like
avater

BALU.... (CCI STUDENT....)     03 October 2012

BALU....
CCI STUDENT.... 
 5132 likes  44605 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Seven tricks to improve your memory

Culled out of the precepts that we read in the story of the brain, and now in the tale of the memory, we preset below seven tricks to improve remembrance:

1. Relax: The thinking Brain functions best when you are relaxed and free from stress.

1. Be active: read out loud; don`t bother if it disturbs at home. Walk while you read; don`t bother if It disturbs at home. Draw charts, write and rewrite key ideas and formula. Don`t bother if the kid brother asks, “Hey, what are you scribbling.”(The Remembering Graph)

1. Take breaks: If you have 4 hours to read, break it into 4 parts: 1 hour followed by 10 minute break. Studies indicate that you can`t concentrate for more than 45 minutes on that trot. (The Rap Effect).

1. Take tests: Why do we push things into memory. Because, we would like to recall it when the need arises. How do you know you will be able to recall when you need it? Simple. Take tests periodically and make repeated attempts in recalling. Regular recall improves memory. Practice makes a man perfect. (The Memory model).

1. Use flaash cards: Flash cards facilitate constant review and instantly help to check output. Rules, principles, formulae should all go into it. Invent acronyms to make the recalling process easy. (The Memory model).

1. Systematic revision: You should revise shortly after the learning period. At first, say within 15 minutes after learning and then again, within the next 24 hours. The reason: when you finish learning, the brain has not had enough time to organize and store everything. It needs a few minutes to store, organize and integrate the date. Studies show that 82% of what you learn today can be forgotten in 24 hours if you do not make a special effort to remember it. You can improve your memory of a lecture manifold by reviewing the material immediately after it, then repeat the review after an hour, a day, a week and a month. (The Forgetting curve).

1. Sleep on it: The brain uses your dozing period to consolidate things in the memory. What you review immediately before going to sleep is what your brain will most quickly and efficiently file away. So review just before sleep. (The Sleep Effect).

9 Like
avater

Vandana Mulchandani (Finance Manager )     03 October 2012

Vandana Mulchandani
Finance Manager  
 2080 likes  9222 points

Wonderful sharing Balu Sir......memorising linking with objects and pictures is more easy and you remember things long life......thanks for sharing such a important article.

avater

Namrata (Spirutial Being)     03 October 2012

Namrata
Spirutial Being 
 347 likes  1841 points

Very usefull tips

Thankyou very much balu sir

avater

SANYAM ARORA (“It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.”)     03 October 2012

SANYAM ARORA
“It's hard to beat a person who never gives up.” 
 3071 likes  20153 points

Really Nice Sharing Brother.

M also A Big Cramer.

Regards

Sanyam

avater

Mansha Tutlani (Student)     03 October 2012

Mansha Tutlani
Student 
 508 likes  3158 points

Great post yes

Very very useful ...Thank you very much 

sneha (student)     03 October 2012

sneha
student 
 1 likes  33 points

vey useful thanks

avater

Hardik Dave (IPCC and CS Professional(FINAL) Student)     03 October 2012

Hardik Dave
IPCC and CS Professional(FINAL) Student 
 3303 likes  15510 points

Realy wonderful article.smile. Thanku for sharing, keep sharing.

avater

CS Ankur Srivastava (Company Secretary & Compliance Officer)     04 October 2012

CS Ankur Srivastava
Company Secretary & Compliance Officer 
 1983 likes  17714 points

A very nice sharing.... Good One..

avater

AASAN HAI (STUDENT)     09 October 2012

AASAN HAI
STUDENT 
 3 likes  76 points

only ONE  word