Kartikeya from IIM N Goldman sachs quits job n cracks IAS

shinoj (ab) (1201 Points)

24 December 2010  
HYDERABAD: Andhra Pradesh youth bagged top ranks in the Civil Services (Mains) Examinations-2008 with Union Public Service Commission declaring the results on Monday. But, only two aspirants could make it to the top 25.

Incidentally, the city had produced all-India first ranks for two consecutive years, 2006 and 2007. Interestingly, many aspirants are leaving lucrative jobs in the private sector, including TCS and Goldman Sachs, to enter government service.

Namani Venkatesh, a native of Ibrahimpatnam in Ranga Reddy district, secured all-India 19th rank. Though his parents are illiterate, they sent him to school. "I want to serve the rural masses as I am aware of the condition they live in. My father used to run a rice shop, now I oversee it," the 27-year-old told TOI over phone.

Kartikeya Misra secured 40th rank. He worked for Goldman Sachs in New York, but quit the corporate world to walk in the footsteps of his father, SBL Misra, an Indian Forest Services (IFS) officer. Misra is presently additional chief conservator of forests in the city. Kartikeya Misra studied at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Jubilee Hills.

"I worked as an analyst with Goldman Sachs at New York for one and half years and later shifted to Mumbai. I quit a corporate job as I wanted to get into civil services," the 27-year-old engineering graduate from BITS, Pilani.

D R Sinduri, who got 43rd rank, told TOI, "For me, it is a sweet birthday gift (May 30)." Sinduri, a resident of Himayatnagar, completed education at Puttaparti in Anantapur district.

N Sandeep, son of IPS officer Madan Mohan, director, Vigilance and Enforcement, secured 91st rank in the civil services examination. "I fulfilled my father's dream to see me as an IAS officer," the post-graduate from IIM-Bangalore said.

E Bhaskar, a resident of Kukatpally Housing Board (KPHB), secured 294th rank. Bhaskar, a graduate from BITS, Pilani, works as an engineer in embedded applications. His father is a chief manager, State Bank of India, Kurnool.

Sinduri, N Sandeep, E Bhaskar and Kartikeya Misra took coaching for the civil services examinations at Brain Tree, a training institute for administrative services, in Himayatnagar. "This year, we gave coaching to 150 students. Of them, 25 students secured top ranks," Brain Tree director V Gopala Krishna told TOI.

Mala Srivastava, a Reserve Bank of India employee, secured all-India 62nd rank. Born in Kakinada, she graduated from BITS, Pilani.

Pallavi Akurati, who took the qualifying examination in Telugu medium, secured 55th rank. She is presently at Nagpur training for the Indian Revenue Service.

Chamarthy Himabindu, who works for TCS in Hyderabad, secured 260th rank and might enter the Indian Revenue Service.