ITR Mistake Rectification and 143(1)

Hi,


I had filed ITR-2 last year on time. A few days back I received a letter from IT Department u/s 143(1). Now when I checked the return I filed, I found mistake in the total income computation.

Can I file a new return with revised details directly or should I visit income tax office?


Thanks in advance,

Derick

Replies (5)

Re-compute your IT returns because this year IT dept has sent out many faulty intimation u/s 143(1) letters to the assessee as they are working on some computerization of records. Chances are your computation may be correct.

Apply for rectification of the intimation u/s 154 as many mistakes have crpt in while issuing intimations by the department. Apply to the ITO who had issued such intimation.

Originally posted by : Aditya Maheshwari

Apply for rectification of the intimation u/s 154 as many mistakes have crpt in while issuing intimations by the department. Apply to the ITO who had issued such intimation.

Intimation has been sent out from Centralized Processing Center.

I have found that I forgot to mention deductions under section 80C to be included in my return.

Also, I read in this forum that if intimation u/s 143(1) is issued after the end of financial year, i.e, 31-March, then I need not respond to it. My letter is dated 28-Jun-2010. Can I ignore this intimation?

If there is demand, IT department may pursue the demand, hence apply for online rectification and get the error in intimation corrected. Else IT dept. can demand more tax based on intimation and demand notice accepted by you.

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartared Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details