how to over come shyness and social anxiety

Paras Ruthla (IPCC Cleared ) (427 Points)

28 February 2011  

I am a guy who belongs to a backward area of BIHAR. When first time i came to kolkata i was scared with all the things going on in my life but now, after 2 years, i can also compeat the students of here. I can stand before them and talk with them with a eye to eye contact. The basic problem with all the guys who belongs to a small town or a backward region is shyness and social anxiety. Guys i can understand your problems becouse i am now familier with the situation. This article is dedicated to all my loving frnd who is also ma PARAS RUTHLA right now.......... This is my first article for cci so kindly forgiv me if i am not too good.........

How to Overcome Shyness and Social Anxiety for College Students

1. Learn the difference between shyness and introversion. “Introverts are apt to be quieter, which is often interpreted as shyness “However, it may or may not be. Shyness has more to do with a lack of social skills. Introverts are more self-contained, which can seem shy.” Even so, introversion and shyness are related. Introverts are more likely to be shy than extroverts. You can be an outgoing introvert (like me!) – which means you’re fine to make small talk for a few hours, then you run out of gas.

2. Figure out how introverted you are. Most  students have both introverted and extroverted personality traits. And, most students tend to be a little more one than the others…which is why taking a test for introverted personality traits is helpful!

For instance, if you’re highly introverted, then you might want to focus on college activities and goals that allow you to be alone most of the time. Introverted college students prefer to focus on details; they avoid groups or energetic social situations.

3. Accept your shyness and social anxiety. Many  students think they’re socially inept, weird, or antisocial – when they’re really just introverted! Introverts don’t always realize that they’re drained by groups of people and that they process their thoughts and feelings differently than extroverts. The more college students know about introverted personality traits – and the more comfortable they are with themselves – the easier it’ll be to overcome feelings of shyness and social anxiety.

4. Create a realistic, healthy school schedule. Schedule “downtime” into your routine – time to be alone, to do what you love, and to re-energize (introverts are drained by groups of people). Balance your downtime with activities with other students. Don’t become a hermit – that won’t help you overcome shyness and social anxiety! Rather, challenge yourself to do one or two healthy social activities a week. 

5. Combine your natural strengths with social interactions. . All you have to do is teach yourself to pay attention. Try to be conscious of yourself and how you feel as you’re completing your day-to-day tasks.”  students, what are you good at? Can you combine your strengths with social activities? If you feel good about yourself in a social situation, it’ll be easier to overcome shyness and social anxiety.

Interesting, Hopefully Helpful!!!!!!!!!