Problem in filing ITR 2

Kannan Iyyengar (42 Points)

27 July 2021  

During the Financial Year 2020-21 (AY 2021-22), I sold some of the Units of the Mutual Fund; I sold some of them for profit, and some others at loss.  Some of them were acquired before 01.02.2018 and some others, after this date.

I duly filled up Schedule 112A with transaction wise figures of loss and gains. 

Schedule E : “Set-off of current year capital losses with current year capital gains” auto-populated the Net gain figure of Schedule 112A, and showed it under Column E9vi; it does not show the loss figure and gain figures separately. 

Now my problem is in Schedule F : “Information about accrual / receipt of Capital Gains”.  In this Schedule, I am required to provide quarter wise break up of capital gains earned. In my case, it was capital loss in one of the quarters.  When I tried to enter the loss figure with a minus sign, the Schedule does not recognize the minus sign (minus sign does not appear at all even though it is pressed); it rather treats the minus sign (loss) as plus (gain).  So the sum total of all the four quarters does not tally with the Net Capital Gains figure filled up in Schedule 112A. Hence when I validate the Return, it gives error message.

Will any of the esteemed Members guide me as to how to solve this problem ?

Regards.

S. Kannan

M. No: 021347