New year gift

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha) (8842 Points)

01 January 2012  

NEW YEAR GIFT  

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man

James Weldon Johnson

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man(1912) is a story of a musician who rejects his black base and opts for a life of material comfort in the white world. The novel scouts for the issue of racial identity in the twentieth century. This had been a common theme in the writing of the Harlem Renaissance.

" The Harlem Renaissance was a cultural movement that spanned the 1920s and 1930s. At the time, it was known as the "New Negro Movement", named after the 1925 anthology by Alain Locke. Though it was centered in the Harlem neighborhood of New York City, many French-speaking black writers from African and Caribbean colonies who lived in Paris were also influenced by the Harlem Renaissance.

Major representatives of the Harlem Renaissance  "

Source ( Material within quote ) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Renaissance

Hope, you my dear friend, would enjoy the book at least as much as I did. Also, in the heart of my hearts, I hope that you will find this gift worth remembering.

The Project Gutenberg EBook of The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.net