Share on Email

Share More

Depreciation

Abhishek Selvam O   11 August 2020

Abhishek Selvam O

12 likes  306 points

| My Other Post

Machine purchase on 1/4/2016
for 100000 dep at 10 percent now in 2019 it is valued at 70000 in 2019 nov rs.50000 incurred to improve now for this computer should I depreciate for 70000 or 120000 or separately should I show deprecitaion for both

bsai partish   11 August 2020

bsai partish

4 likes  107 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Any additions made to a particular item of plant, properties, equipment after it is intially put to use are depreciated over the remaining useful like of the asset.so 120000 should be depreciated.

1 Like
avater

Sagar Patel (Tax and Business Consultant)     11 August 2020

Sagar Patel
Tax and Business Consultant 
 807 likes  8837 points

As per Income tax Act, 1961 you can claim depreciation at the half the rate of depreciation if you used that assets for Less than 180 days.
So, in your case as you purchased assets in Nov,2019, You have to charge depreciation @ 10% on 70,000/- and 5% on 50,000/-

In books of account you can combine the value of both and charge depreciation thereon.

Manzil Arora (Others)     12 August 2020

Manzil Arora
Others 
 26 likes  992 points

Hi Abhishek

As per Ind AS 16, an addition to asset shall be added with the old PPE if it's increasing value in operations of business. And, the life of the asset shall be defined on the basis of nature of asset. For instance, a machine life is for 15 years and a motor is added having life of 5 years. Thus, depreciation will be calculated accordingly on machine and motor separately. 

Now, in depreciation working / calculation you can show both the assets separately, but on face of financials, you have to group these assets under same head.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register