Constructive things we can do in the current CA system!!

Vidhyashankar (CA) (1292 Points)

16 June 2009  

Hi students,

It was a healthy debate we had about the CA system.We focussed on the 'contrast' and what is not nice.

But this post we are going to focus on :" what are the constructive things we are going to do to ameliorate the situation?"

Let me again give you thoughtlines here for debate, discussion and more importantly action and implementation:

1. Creating work experience requirement after CA exams are over for 1.5 years.

2. Allowing students to work in companies too by means of ICAI and corporate liason to meet this 1.5 year requirement.

3. Upgrading study material and making it even better especially in taxation areas.

4. Make Institute coaching and accrediting agency coaching cumpulsory atleast for a stipulated number of hours.

5. Rename nomeclature and get rid of redtapism which surrounds it keeping it simple like Entrance level,Level1 and Level 2.

6. Have GMCS course after exams during the 1.5 year practicum tenure.However, upgrade the course content for ITT

7. Monitor Indian CAs and the excesses they commit either with students or with clients with an iron hand(maybe in a velvet glove!).Make them not develop a "us vs them" attitude(with students, I mean) and the same goes with students too who should learn from experienced seniors,CAs,etc.Not all CAs are bad.(Am I bad? ;) )

8. Develop the skills of members with CPE programs(which the CA institute is doing now with some politics involved!).Keep members and politics away.

9. Streamline ICAI operations.

10.Keep grievance cell for students to hear their woes with special attention being paid to hear the woes of women and physically/visually/aurically disadvantaged students.

11. Increase stipends to reasonable levels and not keep it abominally low.This gives a boost to a morale than acting as a mere monetary incentive.

12. Enrich the CA learning experience in as many ways as possible using the principle of Kaizen management and continuous learning curve and improvement.

13. Tap the alumni netwrok to both get funds and to place students who pass out.

14. Invite more companies for campus recruitment and have a CA marketing drive all over the world and inspire students to take up this course.

15. Make rules less draconian and shorten the timelimits and not make it unnecessarily tough and a pain in the neck for students and members.

16. Start a decent CA student magazine and not some small booklet type, which containts high quality articles to inspire the students of the profession.

17.Allow transfership during the final 1.5 years too and heavily discourage dummy articleship or dummy practicum by students, taking proper and strict measures.

18. Conduct career workshops,seminars by eminent professors,etc which are relevant to the profession.

19. Monitor accredting agencies which conduct private coahing and pasy special attention to their standards too.

These are just some of my starting suggestions(appetizers before the main meal) feel free to chip in your bit.