Capital gains or losses when new equity was issued due to merger

Hi.

I bought 600 shares of Corporation Bank from NSE in 3 tranches in 2010 and 2011. Total exp on purchase was 50135+681 (stt + brokerage) = 50816.

I received 198 shares of Union Bank of India in 2020 in lieu of 600 shares of Corporation Bank. 

I sold all 198 shares of UBI in 2025-26, for which the broker has given these details:

gross rate per security= 189.25 ;  total=37471.50

brokerage= 37.47  ;  GST= 6.96  ;  net amount= 37427.07

How should I compute the LTCG?

  1. Should I show purchase of 198 shares of UBI in 2020 and include purchase expenditure (= 50816), then show sale in 2026 (=34427) and show capital loss (=50816-34427)?
  2. OR should I see the share price of Corporation Bank on 31/03/2018, take that value as purchase price?
  3. But the purchase quantity of UBI shares will not match (actually bought= 600 Corporation Bank, not of UBI)   

Kindly help!

[My problem arises because broker, ICICI Direct, says, this entry is to be manually given to them 'corporate action' to be included in LTCG statement. However, whenever I try to feed them the details through their utility, it gives an error. I can no longer wait for resolution at their end, and must give correct entries in my ITR myself.]

 

Replies (1)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zfWcLZSnFP1ekyFmMV5XDPU7v7PAowKfJ8BcH1AG3UU/edit?usp=sharing

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
05 October 2026
Senior Accountant

Vision IT Peripherals Pvt Ltd

Mumbai

B.Com

View Details
Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details