Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

CA Srujann kumar Reddy (Asst Manager(Internal audit))     21 March 2012

Can a ca become ias

Hey guys,

i want to know whether a CA,CWA or a CS can become an I.A.S, I am a CA final student and i am very much interested to go for civils so please can any one suggest me that whether my doubt is correct, or else can any other way with which i can proceed......

Srujann kumar

Audit Manager

22 Replies

CS RAJESH C.CHOUDHARY

CS RAJESH C.CHOUDHARY (ASSISTANT MANAGER)     21 March 2012

Dear Srujjan Kumar,

I really appricaite you that you wanted to IAS.

According to my knowledge..

Graduation From any stream is the Minimum eligiblity to apply for UPSC Civil services Examination.

So, If you are Doing your CA course and you are not doing Graduation course, then please take admission in Graduate degree course If your aim is to become IPS officer because after graduation you are eligible for this examination. And to apply for this examination, your age should between 21 to 30 years, Eligible candidates may apply for this examination Online By Visit the UPSC website,

The Notification was also availiable in the employment newspaper In the month of February every year.

The examination was held 2 times in a year.So, If you have not pursuing your graduate degree course, then sorry to say, that you are not eligible for UPSC Civil services examination. 

Wish you all the very best for this ..

Regards,

RAJESH CHOUDHARY.

2 Like
CA Srujann kumar Reddy

CA Srujann kumar Reddy (Asst Manager(Internal audit))     21 March 2012

Thank you rajesh garu,

Ankur Garg

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)     21 March 2012

Agree with Rajesh Ji…

And I would like to wish you dear Srujann all the best for your future endeavors.

Regards

1 Like
Abheer

Abheer (student)     21 March 2012

Definitely you can go for ias if you complete your graduation. But I wonder what subjects will you opt for upsc exam? Commerce most probably or some other? It is difficult to decide as mostly people go for public administration, sociology subjects. Commerce subject is considered low scoring( my sources). Waiting for your reply....
Anubhav

Anubhav (Student)     22 March 2012

Originally posted by : guds

Dear Srujjan Reddy,

Please remove all the ill fated advices given by those above me. If you completed CA Final or CWA Final or CS Final  but haven't done a degree, then you are eligible for Civils Services exams. If you haven't completed final in either CA or CWA or CS, then you need to do degree or else complete final in any of there courses.

Civils services exams (IAS or IPS or IRS is based on rank and procedure is same for all) takes 1 and 1/2 year for the complete process.

Prelims in May 20
Mains in October
Interview Feb/March next year

If you start from Jan 2013 then process will end up at April 2014.

If you secure upto 50th rank - chances for IAS
Upto 150th rank - chances for IPS
Upto 250th ranks - chances for IRS.
Ranks were arbitrary figures and changes from year 2 year.

Roughly, 2 lakh people appear for Prelims exams
10000-20000 clear and appear for Mains
2000 will appear for interview
1000 will get selected.
Above figures were estimation of previous year numbers.

As per UPSC, if a student completes any degree from any institute setup by an Act of Parliament, then he is eligible for IAS exams. ICAI setup by an Act and a degree from it called CA final completion makes you eligible for IAS exams.

Thanks...The info. will be useful to all....

2 Like
Abishek

Abishek (Student)     22 March 2012

The last date for application for may 12 prelim exams was march 5th... So you will have to take it  up next year... And also i heard that the fees for pre lims is only Rs 50 

1 Like
Ankita Methi

Ankita Methi (Credit Underwriter)     22 March 2012

wat abt the preprations and all?????????????.......i mean to say coachings,self study,books etc

Could anyone tell how to start preapring for it ,when we are pursuing CA/CS/CWA.

sikha sharma

sikha sharma (article)     22 March 2012

Academic Eligibility for IAS Exams

• A degree of any of the Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be a Deemed University under the UGC Act, 1956, or an equivalent qualification.
  • Candidates who have appeared or intend to appear for the qualifying examination and are awaiting results are also eligible to appear for the Preliminary Examination. All such candidates who qualify to appear for the Civil Services Main Examination must produce proof of having passed the said examination along with their application for the Main Examination.
  • The UPSC may in exceptional cases treat a candidate without the foregoing requisite qualification as an eligible candidate if he / she has passed an examination conducted by other institutions, the standard of which justifies his / her admission in the opinion of the Commission.
  • Candidates with professional and technical qualifications recognised by the Government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees.
  • Candidates who have passed the final year of MBBS or any Medical Examination but are yet to complete the internship can also appear for the Main Examination. However they must submit along with their Main Examination application, a certificate from the concerned authority of the University / Institution that they have passed the final professional medical examination. At the Interview stage they must then produce a certificate from a competent authority that they have completed (including internship) all the requirements for the award of the Medical degree.
1 Like
Abheer

Abheer (student)     24 March 2012

Originally posted by : Anamika

wat abt the preprations and all?????????????.......i mean to say coachings,self study,books etc

Could anyone tell how to start preapring for it ,when we are pursuing CA/CS/CWA.

even i want to know. can anyone tell ???

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW (Shabda Bramha)     24 March 2012

"Candidates with professional and technical qualifications recognised by the Government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees."

A CA/CS/CMA can sit for the Civil Service Examination. These professional degree holders can directly pursue PhD programme, if interested, which indicates that the said programmes are of Master Degree level ( at the very least ). Now, if the same is OK for PhD and not for IAS, it would make the whole Governmental policy baseless. As far as I can remember, even a person without ANY FORMAL ACADEMIC QUALIFICATION can write the CSE, India. For such a person, it is mandatory though to pass a screening test taken by UPSC.[I don't know whether this provision still exists or not, but it was, some 10 years back]

So, anyone who are interested in either the Central Civil Services or the State Civil Services may go ahead with all the enthusiasm required.

As regards what it takes to become a Civil Servant (and also the life of one), I would need a whole new thread to discuss about that. So, I remain, for the moment.

Regards.

3 Like
Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW

Intersted persons may find this site useful :

www.civilserviceindia.com/

Sourav Banerjee MA,MSW

Please check the latest Syllabus published in Employment News and other such periodicals.

Commerce Syllabus for Civil Service Mains Examination ( UPSC )

Paper-I
Accounting & Finance

Part-I

Accounting, Taxation & Auditing
Financial Accounting
Accounting as a financial information system; Impact of behavioural sciences.
Accounting Standards e.g., accounting for depreciation, inventories, gratuity, research and development costs, long term construction contracts, revenue recognition, fixed assets, contingencies, foreign exchange transactions, investments and government grants.
Advanced problems of company accounts.
Amalgamation absorption and reconstruction of companies.
Valuation of shares and goodwill.

Cost Accounting
Nature and functions of cost accounting.
Job Costing
Process Costing
Marginal Cositng; Techniques of segregating semi-variable costs into fixed and variable costs.
Cost-volume-profit relationship; aid to decision making including pricing decisions, shutdown etc.
Techniques of cost control and cost reduction.
Budgetary control, flexible budgets.
Standard costing and variance analysis.
Responsibility accounting, investment, profit and Cost centres.

Taxation
Definitions
Basis of charge.
Incomes which do not form part of total income.
Simple problems of computation of income under various heads, i.e., salaries, income from house property, profits and gains from business or profession, capital gains, income of other persons included in assessee's total income.
Aggregation of income and set off/carry forward of loss.
Deductions to be made in computing total income.

Auditing

Audit of cash transactions, expenses, incomes, purchases, sales.
Valuation and verification of assets with special reference to fixed assets, stocks and debts.
Verification of liabilities.
Audit of limited companies; appointment, removal, powers, duties and liabilities of company auditor, significance of 'true and fare', MAOCARO report.
Auditor's report and qualifications therein.
Special points in the audit of different organisations like clubs, hospitals, colleges, charitable societies.

Part-II
Business Finance and Financial Institutions.

Finance Function-Nature, Scope and Objectives of Financial Management-Risk and Return relationship.
Financial Analysis as a Diagnostic Tool.
Management of Working Capital and its Components-Forecasting working capital needs, inventory, debtors, cash and credit management.
Investment Decisions-Nature and Scope of Capital Budgeting-Various types of decisions including Make or Buy and Lease or Buy-Techniques of Appraisal and their application-
Consideration of Risk and Uncertainty-Analysis of Non-financial Aspects.
Rate of Return on Investments-Required Rate of Return-its measurement-Cost of Capital-Weighted Average Cost-Different Weights.
Concepts of Valuation-Valuation of firm's Fixed Income Securities and Common Stocks.
Dividend and Retention Policy-Residual Theory or Dividend Policy-Other Models-Actual Practices.
Capital Structure-Leverages-Significance or Leverages-Theories of Capital Structure with special reference to Modigliani and Miller approach. Planning the Capital Structure of a Company; EBIT-EPS Analysis, Cash-flow ability to service debt, Capital Structure Ratios, other methods.
Raising finance-short term and long term. Bank finance-norms and conditions.
Financial Distress-Approaching BIFR under Sick Industrial Undertakings Act : Concept of Sickness, Potential Sickness, Cash Loss, Erosion of Networth.
Money Markets-the purpose of Money Markets, Money Market in India-Organization and working of Capital markets in India-Organization, Structure and Role of Financial Institutions in India. Banks and Investing Institutions-National and International Financial Institutions-their norms and types of financial assistance provided-inter-bank lending-its regulation, supervision and control. System of Consortium-Supervision and regulation of banks.
Monetary and Credit policy of Reserve Bank of India.

Paper-II
Organisation Theory and Industrial Relations

Part-I
Organisation Theory
Nature and concept of Organisation-Organisation goals; Primary and secondary goals, Single and multiple goals, ends means chain-Displacement, succession, expansion and multiplication of goals-Formal organisation; Type, Structure-Line and Staff, functional matrix, and project-Informal organisation-functions and limitations.
Evolution of organisation theory : Classical, Neo-classical and system approach-Bureaucracy; Nature and basis of power, sources of power, power structure and politics-Organisational behaviour as a dynamic system : technical, social and power systems-interrelations and interactions-Perception-Status system. Theoretical and empirical foundation of theories and Models of motivation. Morale and productivity-Leadership : Theories and styles-Management of conflicts in organisation-Transactional Analysis-Significance of culture to organisations. Limits of rationality-Organisational change, adaptation, growth and development, Professional management Vs. family management, Organisational control and effectiveness.

Part-II
Industrial Relations.
Nature and scope of indsutrial relations, the socio-economic set-up, need for positive approach.
Industrial labour in India and its commitment-stages of commitments. Migratory nature-merits and shortcomings.
Theories of Unionism.
Trade Union movement in India-origin, growth and structure; Attitude and approach of management of India-recognition. Problems before Indian Trade Union movement.
Industrial disputes-sources; strikes and lockouts.
Compulsory adjudication and collective bargaining-approaches.
Worker's participation in management-philosophy, rationale; present day state of affairs and future prospects.
Prevention and settlement of industrial disputes in India.
Industrial relations in Public Enterprises.
Absenteeism and labour turnover in Indian Industries-causes
Relative wages and wage differentials; wage policy.
Wage policy in India; the Bonus issue.
I.L.O. and India;
Role of Personnel Department in the Organisation.

1 Like
CA Srujann kumar Reddy

CA Srujann kumar Reddy (Asst Manager(Internal audit))     02 April 2012

Dear abhinav and shika sharma,

Thanks alot for the info which has been provided, actually while registered for CPT, i have made registration for andhra university but due to this course and other personal circumstances i was unable to appear for the exams but after completion of 3 years i went to andhra university to continue to my graduation, but he was saying like as you have not written any exam upto now you will get a provisional degree pass certificate which i was not willing to take,

with the above reason i was unable to continue the degree and then ICAI has send me some KLU university and now i am thinking to go for it in order to appear for civils.

I am going to write my CA and CS final in Nov and Dec 2013, and after clearing that i am intrested to go to DELHI for IAS for which i want to keep my profession aside for an year. this is i am thinking about.

I am explaining the whole thing why because by having a provisional degree can i go for IAS, and as you people suggested a person with technical or professional qualification is eligible for civils. will there be any chance of changing such a provision stated in the articles

But i am very much interested and  i want to make my attitude and effort to acheive my dream from the day one itself.

Thank you for every body, ANKUR SIR will always be with us

nalamasa suresh

nalamasa suresh (articles student)     10 November 2013

can you please suggest me ....i have completed my ca-ipcc both groups but i dont have interested to do ca. because my pre aim is to become a ias/ips.....some of my relatives said that, if anyone completes his ca/cwa/cs inter level then he/she is eligible to write prelims .........but i found later that its false one....

actually , i think that ca is a tough course but we have to learn more patience and hardwork through this course......thats why iam choosing but it effects my career....... what can i do now.........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags