A very noble cause

priyanka (CA Final student) (895 Points)

30 December 2010  

hi everyone!

honestly speaking, i m one of the laziest persons on CCI, unlike some of my contemporaries, who have won the hearts of many because of their tremendously useful contributions, be it in the form of inspirational write-ups, articles on their own personal experiences, financial and corporate world information or simply the humour section......the genuine efforts that they put in their posts is very much visible.....so my post begins with thanking all of them for their selfless contribution on this great platform meant for CA fraternity....

i m nt sharing this article with you all to find my feet in the race with my co-CCItes.....about an hour ago, while  i ws having my evening tea, my li'l sis asked my mum as to why people indulge themselves in philanthropic activities.....{philanthropy; the spirit of active goodwill toward others as demonstrated in efforts to promote their welfare. The term is often used interchangeably with charity.}....

she asked this question not coz she is against the very concept of charity.........guys, all of us are aware of the fact that every year vast sums of money are collected for invaluable philanthropic purposes, and an increasing number of people participate in the work of collecting money through highly organized campaigns, the purpose of which is fund-raising...

There are, of course, many Indian businessmen who give money to charity. The Hindujas in Britain have given large sums, as has the Tata family in India. But nothing on any great scale or with any real ambition in India itself.

Bill Gates has focussed a great deal of his time and personal fortune in improving access to education, raising awareness and offering treatment for HIV/AIDS and encouraging agricultural development in India.

Last year Prince Charles invited some of India’s (and the world’s) richest men to launch the British Asian Trust to protect its environment, preserve historic buildings, and support the young unemployed.

The invitation list included Ratan Tata, Indian’s most enlightened industrialist, steel king Laxmi Mittal, property magnate K P Singh and India’s richest man and arguably the world’s best project manager, Mukesh Ambani. Their combined personal wealth easily topped £60 billion, but we’ve yet to see how deep they put their hands in the pockets or how much of their considerable talent and focus they gave.

.........but most of us hv this question sumwhr in our sub-conscience that if our very famous billionaiers utilise the wholesome amount

( that they donate towards charitable cause ) in expanding their respective businesses, they would benefit out of it, without a doubt .......

my mum replied in such an effective way that i could nt stop myself frm writing about it.....she said :
"Early Christians were commanded to give to the poor beyond their ability. Gifts of property were common in the Christian era. In early times, charity was usually prompted by religious faith and helped to assure a reward in an afterlife....although urban conditions frequently over-whelmed traditional voluntarism, bt still ppl lyk Bill Gates n Prince Charles exist, who India has in the form of its most active philanthropists....their motive is not pure charity, but more to empower the weaker section."

my mum always says ; "“If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.

so is the case with the gods that many developing n under-developed countries have in the form of philanthropists......