Easy Office

[official] cfa thread for ca/cs students

Page no : 4

espionage (human being...) (769 Points)
Replied 16 May 2012

yes u can do it in 1.5 yrs.... 
i have my level 1 in dec 2012.. the jobs u can expect after level 2 are equity researcha at a top firm, analyst at a hedge funsd (if u r lucky), a strong entry into a bulge braket investment bank if ur a CA+ cfa l2, u can even bag joba at investment ngt firms, 

*PEACE*

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)   (767 Points)
Replied 23 May 2012

Hi Espionage,

Quite a thread I must say. How did it come to you to use this name? Unique by the way.

Talking sense, I am a Chartered Accountant qualified in May 2010, working with an IT company for last 1 year and 7 months.

I thought of joining the CFA course sometime back. But didn't initiate the process due to the simple reason I was not determined enough. The idea is now resurfacing time and again because I have started feeling the saturation in terms of profile and package. And now that I found you here on CCI, I am happy that I have a free package of counseling.

Here are my queries:

1. How much will the CFA course add (monetarily / non-monetarily) to my existing scenario?
  2. How do you see CFA against CA in terms of labor involved in getting through?
  3. What are the chances of getting Investment Banking profile for a CA + CFA L2 having experience in ERP profile?
  4. If the answer to the above is more than 50%, can you give me a picture of what are the usual roles and responsibilities of someone in Investment Banking profile (Exhaustive)?
  5. Last but not the least, what should be my approach/planning, being a full-time employee of an organisation, towards achieving the best?

Hoping for a reply soon

Regards

CA Sheli Sehrawat

Replied 23 May 2012

thx ma'am ...i always belive in being differnt from others in what ever i do.

simple, relevant and to the point answers:-

1. Monetarily ifu go into a fund ( be it mutual or a hedge fund) and u develop a different than usual strategy for investing then u can see urself earning even millions.. but if it fails or dosent give the required returns then u can a face a diffult period. Also u can start of an analyst there and can work urself towards top positions like a manager or even an associate and can earn quite a lot more money than u can earn bein just a CA , no offence ma'am.
talk in non monetary terms CFA opens innumerable doors to jobs in other countries , which a CA may not open unless u r deep into a finance job , again no offence.

2. CFA l1 is quite easy but the material is massive. But as u have read the SFM/MAFA paper in CA final almost 50% Level 1 syllabus is covered. Theonly prob would be the totally ne IFRS and US GAAP  which is super daunting in itself.
Level 2 is a differnt game altogether the syllabus is almost equal to 85-90% of CA final (both grps) in terms of volume and is pure finance six feet deep.

3. It may be difficult to break into ibanking with ur backgrnd, but try to network more and find some sources .

4. initial ibanking roles inculde an analyst, junior level financial modelling, working as a trainee on M&A transactions, maybe carry out due dilligence ... as u progress thework loads increase more towards the financial modelling part but with really great compensation.

5. Time and again it is proven... the only route to sucess in HARD WORK and only HARD WORK.. nothing else worked, is working or will work ...  study whenever u get the time... the employer may have to sacrifice but wehn u come out with fyling colous u will be a diamond in a gold mine....and and and just belive in the the supreme power otherwise known as the god....he can do things unimaginable, unthinkable, undoable.....

*PEACE*

2 Like

Pucca Idiott (wannabe...) (148 Points)
Replied 13 June 2012

If i am doing cfa do i need to inform the icai reg that. Moreover does it really matter??

Replied 13 June 2012

no need to inform ICAI buddy.. and it dosent really matter  :)

*PEACE*

1 Like

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)   (767 Points)
Replied 13 June 2012

Dollar rates are mounting each day... wanted to register in this july :( ... any hopes?

Replied 13 June 2012

ma'am if u get urself registered today ie. 13/06/2012 then u will have to pay $1125 @ 55.68 per dollar .. it comes out to Rs. 62640 + Rs. 2000 for the financial calculator.. check this link for more deadlines

https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/process/fees/Pages/index.aspx

*PEACE*

Ganesh (intrene) (42 Points)
Replied 14 June 2012

hey guyz i have been said dat CFA is much thougher than  CA...is dat true..????

coz i want 2 do CFA ... 

Replied 14 June 2012

@ ganesh CA is more about rote learning all that provsions of tax, that dreaded isca... perhaps ICAI wants us to be master of 8 different fields or perhaps it dosen't.,,. whereas CFA will teach u everything about finance right from the baics like derivatives, debt, equity in level 1 to behavioural finance in level 3.. so u will be a true master in finance... rest others may have different opinion 

as regards to diffuculty level level 1 is easy just like ipcc grp 1.. :).. but level 2 is pretty diffcult ... the volume of course of CFA l2 is much much more than l1..

*PEACE*

1 Like

chirag (student) (131 Points)
Replied 15 June 2012

I'm in my final year of Graduation From Mumbai University and  hav Cleared CA-IPCC in May 2011.Anf Ca final is due in MAy 2014

Can I Attempt for Level 1 in December 2012 ??

and if yes ,then Will I be Eligible for Level 2 in June 2013????

My graduation degree will be awarded to me in June 2013.But My work Experience will be around 18 months (CA-articleship which is Full time) by the time i register for Level 2 that is in Feb 2013 & My college Experience of 36 months.

The site says that "If you pass Level I and would like to take Level II based on a combination of education and work experience, you will need to enter your work experience in your online account.  You would then email cmservices @ cfainstitute.org and request that they review your work experience details in consideration of eligibility for Level II.  We will reply via e-mail within 3 to 5 business days once review of your work experience is complete.  Please note that you should only follow this procedure after you have verified you passed Level I."

Can I be Eligible for Level 2 in june 2013 on the above mentioned criteria ,if the above mentioned criteria is valid???

Replied 15 June 2012

no buddy u cannot sit for l2 in june 2013 as u will be awarded ur bcom in june 2013..  to register for cfa l2 u must complete ur grad.. if no then u cannot sit for cfa l2 ..simple as that..

*PEACE*

Replied 15 June 2012

no buddy u cannot sit for l2 in june 2013 as u will be awarded ur bcom in june 2013..  to register for cfa l2 u must complete ur grad.. if no then u cannot sit for cfa l2 ..simple as that..

*PEACE*

Replied 15 June 2012

*PEACE*

Replied 15 June 2012

*PEACE*

shanky(ca finalist) (ca finalist..bcm(h)) (123 Points)
Replied 17 June 2012

ESPIONAGE ..can u plz provide me the details of frm ((FINANCIAL RISK MANAGEMENT))..scope ..procedure..as well as fees..lyk cmplete ..brochure..i m n ca final...n want to do frm.....final attempt nov2014...

THNK U..

ALSO DIFF BETWEEN FRM AND CFA..WHCH 1 IS BETTER WID CA..

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Join CCI Pro