The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India has set up the Accountancy Museum at its office in the ICAI Bhawan at C-1, Sector-1, in Noida. It was inaugurated by the President of the Institute, CA. Shri Ved Jain on February 2, 2009, at 12.30 PM. The Vice President CA. Shri Uttam Prakash Agarwal and all the Council members were also present on the occasion.
This Accountancy Museum has been conceptualised as an assemblage to trace the origin and growth of accountancy in India and in the world. Focus of the Museum is on the accountancy practices in ancient, medieval and modern India. The Museum through its collection of rare and unique items on display traces the evolution of bookkeeping, accounting and profession of accountants in India.
This museum depicts the development of accountancy at different stages of the history through artefacts, documents, manuscripts, photographs etc. to give an aura of the historical period. Among many items displayed in the museum, we have old balance sheets dating back to 1929, first balance sheet of the Institute, first report of the Council of the Institute, Certificate of the Government Diploma in Accountancy (GDA), first Certificate of Membership of Shri G.P. Kapadia, certificates of merit and Gold Medals of the first R.A. Final Examination and first C.A. Final Examination.
The Museum also narrates the story of the birth of the Institute through the documents from the recordings of the proceedings of the meetings of the Indian Accountancy Board. Among the images, there are, among other rare and invaluable items, a photograph of the members of the Indian Accountancy Board of 1938, and a khata-bahi that dates back to Samwat 1905/ 1848 AD. There are sculptures of Kubera (the lord of wealth), Chanakya (author of Arthasastra), of a prototypical Muneemji (accountant) and Luca Pacioli (the father of Accountancy). In addition to this, there are other images that have been procured from the British Museum as well as from the private collectors from India and abroad. The National Archives of India and the archives of The Times of India and The Indian Express had been consulted for strengthening the storyline of our narrative. The sound archive of the All India Radio has also helped us with their archival collection.
A set of 5 picture post cards of the items of the museum and a comprehensive booklet are available at a nominal and reasonable price in the Museum. Eventually, we would like to request the media, the public and all the concerned for further contributions to our collection. We also would like all of you to come, observe and offer your valuable comments and suggestions.
Contact: DR NK RANJAN
Phone: +91-120-3054847; +91-9810700631