FCRA Comes into Force W.E.F May 2011
Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA) 2010 has been notified and it has come into force with effect from 1/5/2011. FCR Rules 2011 have also come into force from 1/5/2011.
Key features of FCRA 2010 include the following:
• Concept of ‘permanent’ registration done away with; A five-year registration is provided so that dorman organisations do not continue. All existing registered organisations are deemed to be on a five-year validity from now.
• ‘person’ has been defined in a broader sense
• ‘Organisations of political nature’ cannot receive foreign funds.
• Ceiling on administrative expenses has been prescribed.
• Procedure for suspension and cancellation of registration has been Prescribed.
• Statutory role provided for banking sector in regulation.
• Time limits have been provided for accountability of officials
• To deal with bona fide mistakes of NGOs, provision has been made for 'compounding' of offences.
Details are available on Ministry of Home Affairs website-mha.nic.in.