Yoga and Pranayama

^^^ AJIT ^^^ (SERVICE & CS [CONTD.]) (1454 Points)

09 November 2009  

YOGA & PRANAYAMA

Definition of Yoga – The word yoga is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘juja’ as also from the root ‘jujir’ meaning ‘to unite’ or ‘to integrate’. This union refers to the union of ‘jeevatma’ with ‘paramatma’ i.e. the union of the individual consciousness with cosmic or divine consciousness. According to Patanjali, Yoga is a “suspension of the functions of the mind.

The Ayurvedic classics consider Ayu (life) as four dimensional entity comprising of Sarira (body), Indriya (sense), Satva (mind) and Atma (soul). The word yoga (union) also refers to union or integration of the above four aspects of man as one individual. Thus, the meaning of yoga is that which helps to “firmly unite” the physical body with the spiritual being.

Methods of yogic practice – There are 8 (eight) methods of yogic practice described by Patanjali. Among these, the first two i.e. yama (restraining) and niyama (austerity) are based on moral training. A Yogi must not think of injuring any one by thought, word or deed. The Third method is asana (postures) which improves bodily health especially of vital organs, such as, brain, heart, lung, liver, organs of gastro intestinal tract, kidney etc. Then comes pranayama (breathing) exercise. With these exercises follows the higher stage of yoga i.e. mental exercise. They are – (a) Pratyahara (restraining of sense organs from their objects) (b) dharana (concentration of the mind on any specific object) (c) dhyana (meditation ) and (d) Samadhi (attaining the state of super consciousness).