Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Wrong PAN Number in Form 16

Dr. Jones (Director) (253 Points)

07 February 2011  

Hi,

One of my relatives was working in a private firm. He received his form 16 for last year's income from his previous employer. But in that form 16, the PAN number entered was incorrect.

What should be done to correct this issue? He is not getting any response from his previous employer. How should he file his return? Should he show the TDS done on wrong PAN number as his or what should be done?

Experts, please help.

Thanks!

9 Replies

Pankaj Arora (Learner) (3129 Points)
Replied 07 February 2011

Ask employer to file previous year revise tds return if employer does not it than write a letter to AO of your ward and they will take an action against it.

satyendra kumar singh (Manager-Finance & Accounts)   (100 Points)
Replied 07 February 2011

Dear,

There is no any other way . you have to put pressure on you previous employes for correction . but for the time being you can file your return . other wise it will be time bar.

Rohit Khaitan (Learning from Life) (127 Points)
Replied 07 February 2011

@ Mr. Jones, I totally agree with Mr. Arora.. U can request the previous employer to revise his TDS return as the person cannot get claim for filing wrong TDS return or you can contact the TDS ward of the previous employer and request them to take action agaist the faulty employer and you can seek rectification.. For the time being you can contact your Assessing Officer and seek an extension of Time stating your incapabilities to file your Return of Income for the said Assessment Year. As by doing this u can easily get the extension without any technical fault on our side.

Siddharth (Get Digital Signature Certificates (DSC) in 30 minutes! Click on send PM!)   (672 Points)
Replied 08 February 2011

You may also want to check if there has been proper deductions and submissions of TDS or not, here:

https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/index.jsp

register the pan and see tax credits.. If tax credits are okay, then it is just problem with Form 16, get it rectified. Don't use the wrong PAN to file returns, it would be worthless.

If you don't see the proper tax credits, you need to follow the steps suggested by the people above ^^.

Vikas (Student) (129 Points)
Replied 08 February 2011

Same problem facing our clients ... Ur relative wont get credit of TDS.. Alternate solution is u can file his IT return with correct PAN No. & IT Dept will send notice demanding tax. ... Then u can send such TDS certificate(with wrong PAN No.) to respective ward with letter mentioning all this things...

Sathyanarayanan (CA Final & CWA Final) (30 Points)
Replied 08 February 2011

There is no other option other than asking the employer to file a revised return.  What  generally happens is that the employer will not file the revised return immediately; the company will see if there are more employees whose PANs were mentioned wrongly.  They will file the revised return later on, so that they can avoid multiple uploading fees.  Otherwise also, IT department will send notice to the employees seeking clarification regarding mismatch of data between eTDS return filed and the claims through Form 16.  In such cases, they will be rectified.  Till that time, tax will not be credited. 

NISHIT AGARWAL (B COM (HONS) , ca pcc) (27 Points)
Replied 29 August 2014

HOW COULD THE PERSON FILED HIS RETURN . IF TDS HAVE BEEN DEDUCTED FROM HIS SALARY THAN HE WILL NOT GET ANY CREDIT I 26 AS  AND AFTER FILING RETURN WITH WRONG NUMBER HE WILL GET DEMAND FORM ITO FOR TAX PAYMENT . SO PLEASE WAIT FOR YOUR EMPLOYER TO FILE ETDS RETURN AND UPDATE YOUR CORRECT PAN NO. THANK YOU

MOHAN (Article) (22 Points)
Replied 03 December 2015

PLEASE TELL ME THE FORMAT OF LETTER WHICH I HAVE TO WRITTENTO AO

shalini pandey (2 Points)
Replied 14 September 2019

Sir mere father ka ay 2012-13 and ay2013-14 mai jo return file hua tha ussm pan galt ho gaya jiski wajha se outstanding demand show ho rhi hai something 75000 k aas pass and ay 2010-11 mai return file usski b and jabki saare return nil the or isski notice b nahi mili please help and give me letter fomat for correction ... kyoki jo pehle advocate karte the unhone apna mobile and mail id daal ralha tha jiski wajha se unhe kuch pata nahi chala issko sahi karne ka rasta kaya hai ...

Please help me ....

PLEASE TELL ME THE FORMAT OF LETTER WHICH I HAVE TO WRITTENTO AO....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags