Tds on spouse interest income

I have included interest income of my spouse and also claimed tds credit.

In CPC order the income has been taken but  the credit was ignored.

My request for rectification was rejected  AS THE TDS CLAIMED IS NOT AVAILABLE IN ASSESSEE'S ACCOUNT.

Obviously it is available in my wife's account and her PAN no. and Name are furnished in the return.

When contacted by phone I was informed that only the credit in assessee's PAN will be taken and I can contact a tax expert to get relief. Else I can file revised return omiting interest income of spouse and file a new return for her.

This is for information only.

Replies (4)

Thanks for sharing the information and opinion of CPC.

Strangely, the  law makers are yet to recognise the need to change the TDS credit rules where clubbing provisions under section 64 have been used by the tax payer.

Regards,

As per Sec 199 read with Rule 37BA, your spouse should have given a declaration under Rule 37BA(1) to the deductor that interest income will be included in your income. Along with declaration, your name, address , PAN should also be provided to the deductee as per Rule 37BA (2).

There is no mistake on the part of Income Tax Department.

Yoy should approach to your deductor for making a revised return of TDS.

Thank You.

Your response did a lot of good to me.

I have now found that we should have requested  the tds deductor to give credit to my pan account.

Having missed that the department is well equipped to give the credit based on information in the return.

Now i will file return for my wife claiming reund of TDS in her account.

 

 

 

Thank You. I agree there is no mistake on the part of department.

Having missed that, I wish the department give the credit themselves atleast when a request for rectification is made.

They have the authority, they are competent and they have all the information and records.

I hope it will be ok to file a return for my wife and claim refund of TDS in her account.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
09 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Aviv Global Private Limited

Ahmedabad

CA

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA / CA Inter - 2 Groups Cleared

Getmyca Consultant Pvt Ltd

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 September 2026
Article/ Paid Assistant

Murali and Sumeet Chartered Accountant

Bengaluru

CA Foundation

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
22 September 2026
Account Assistant

Chirag P Shah & Co. Chartered Accountant

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 18 September 2026
Industrial Trainee

Twenty Point Nine Five Ventures Private Limited

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details