Taxability of STCG

Dear Sirs,

 I am a senior citizen . I have earned Short Term Capital Gain from sale of Mutual Fund ( Debt Fund )- Rs. 12,718/- and  from Equity oriented Mutual Fund- Rs. 881/- , apart from Long Term Capital Gain ( subject to STT) of Rs. 5,576/-  These are the information provided by my Mutual Fund agent through whom I invest my  surplus fund by way of SIP/ outright purchase as suggests by the Agent.

My other income for the FY 2019-2020 is Rs. 3,90,000/- only. Am I to pay Income Tax separately on Capital Gain as detailed above?

Replies (4)
Quick Summary
This discussion clarifies the tax implications of Short Term Capital Gains (STCG) from mutual fund investments for a senior citizen. Despite earning STCG from debt and equity funds, along with some Long Term Capital Gains, the individual's total income means there is no income tax liability on these gains. However, filing an Income Tax Return (ITR) is still recommended, with specific schedules for reporting capital gains if required.

No... there's no tax liability however you are requested to file ITR
Is it tax free mf
there's is no tax liability but if you're a salary person then file itr2 other wise file itr3
Dear rama krishnan / ayusmita Thanks a lot for the valued opinion. I am now relaxed. May I ask you a further favour from you ? If I need to file ITR 2 or 3 , where to show such gain? Specific column / Table may kindly be indicated.
There's will be a schedule CG for capital gain
you have to file there

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
07 October 2026
Senior Account Manager

Amplio Invest

Mumbai

M.Com

View Details
Company
20 September 2026
Semi Qualified CA

Navin & Associates

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 21 September 2026
Consultant - Reporting

Finrep Advisors LLP

Mumbai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
18 September 2026
Accounts & Finance Specialist

ULTRA CHEMICAL WORKS

Thane

CA Final

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details