GST Plus - Get Daily updates,support, whatsapp Group & reply to GST Notices etc.!! Call : 011-411-70713 !!


Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sundara Rajan (GM)     19 September 2021

Tax return for students going abroad for study

One of my friend's daughter who was working in India for sometime and filing her return as Resident had gone abroad for studies since December 2019. For AY 21-22 (FY 20-21) she is not  in India for more than 182 days in the previous year. As she has gone for studies, she may not be earning there. But if Non-Resident category is selected, it is asking for Tax Identification number and no such number is given to her.

How to file the return and in what capacity Resident / Non-Resident

 1 Replies

Dhirajlal Rambhia

Dhirajlal Rambhia (SEO Sai Gr. Hosp.)     20 September 2021

First check her residential status by check on her stay in India for 60 days or more criteria.

Secondly, in order to obtain this TRC certificate, she has to fill up Form 8802, an application for United States Residency Certificate.
The IRS issues TRC on Form 6166. Form 6166 is a letter printed on US Department of Treasury stationery certifying that the individuals or entities listed are residents of the United States for purposes of the income tax laws of the United States.


Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags