Tax Clarification

Hi,

In financial Year 2009-2010 I went on Maternity leave in month of October 2009 and was to join back in March 2010.

But due to some issues I was not able to join back in March 2010. My Company issues a bonus in March which is paid alongwith Salary. Since I did not joined in March and went on Leave Without Pay, I was not given salary for March 2010 but the Tax was deducted considering I was paid that Bonus amount. This Tax is showing in my Form 16 as well as in form 26AS Online for 2009-10. In other words, the Tax Deducted is showing but I was not paid this salary.

I joined back my company in January 2011, this means the rest of 2010 I was not LWP.

I have a query, if I can claim in ITR for 2009-2010 that I was not paid this salary and ask for refund and show this amount paid in 2010-2011 Fiscal Year.

I want to check if this can happen and/or any other alternatives for the same.

 

Regards,

Shivani Goyal

9582555457

Replies (2)

Hi Shivani,

In my opinion

1. Salary is charged to tax on receipt or on due basis whichever is earlier Sec.15

2. Bonus forms part of salary and same is chargeable  to tax as salary.

3. In your case you have not mentioned wether you received bonus amount on joining back, going by the language ("if I can claim in ITR for 2009-2010 that I was not paid this salary and ask for refund and show this amount paid in 2010-2011 Fiscal Year.") you received once you resumed.

4. Bonus amount became due once the month of March got over just like every other employees (however you did not receive the salary for the month of March 10 as you were on leave without pay) so same was charged to tax on due basis and company completed the formality of deducting the tax and paying it to the goverment, which also get reflected in your Form16.

5. As form 16 becomes the proof that bonus was given to you for FY 2009-10 (as bonus is not for month but for the entire year) also company has deducted the same from its P&L it will be difficult for the company to make changes in its audited accounts and show it as a part of FY 2010-11.

Warm regards.

hi,

You cannot adjust it,different IT returns have to solve the issue IE you don't mix them.FY 2009-10 take the refund ,This have to be in form 16 also.The 2010-11 FY you can pay tax ,If company have not deducted or u can opt to get the tax deducted as per calculation..

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article assistant

S.K.Bajpai & Co.

Noida

B.Com

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
06 October 2026
Assistant Manager - Audit and Compliance

Ravi K Jain & Co

Noida

Others

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 28 September 2026
Junior Accountant

J S P M & Associates LLP

Pune

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
SALES TELECALLER

HIRE NOVA

Lucknow

Graduate (Any)

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accountant

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

B.Com

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details