Simple and inspirational real life story !!!

Ankur Garg (Company Secretary and Compliance Officer)   (114773 Points)

10 February 2012  

On Learning to Speak Another Language

An inspirational real life story about asking for what you want to support your dreams...

During a career change in my early thirties, I realized I needed to learn Spanish in order to work with Spanish-speaking people. I studied with software and tapes that friends had let me borrow. I bought a few books. My progress was O.K. but I wasn’t speaking Spanish and I certainly did not understand those speaking Spanish.

Then one day it occurred to me, “What I really need is a friend who doesn’t speak English so that I can learn to actually communicate.” I knew it was a bit brave thought.

But I didn’t know any Spanish-speaking people who didn’t speak English at the time. I encountered them at the store and so forth but either I didn’t meet them in a social context or they spoke English which I knew would never work because we would invariably end up speaking English.

So I prayed and asked for someone to come into my life that was Spanish-speaking only. I purposefully tried to believe it would be possible somehow and feel expectant for an answered prayer.

One day I noticed two Guys moving up on the third floor. I heard them speaking Spanish. But I thought it might be because they didn’t have any English-speaking friends with them. Later I noticed that they never spoke English. They were about my age, looked friendly and so eventually I got up the nerve to say “Hallo.” There are no words to describe how nervous I was and yet the barrier was broken and a relationship began.

To make a long story short, I eventually became roommates and shared an apartment with those Spanish-speaking neighbors for several years. After they moved back to Europe, I went to visit them several times. Can you imagine how much that experience improved my Spanish? In fact, it changed my life forever.

I eventually was hired to teach bilingual 3rd grade, passed the teacher's state exam in Spanish and taught high school Spanish I and II. Studying Spanish is a hobby and passion of mine to this day! I've thoroughly enjoyed my experiences and relationships with people speaking Spanish.

I've learned that a dream can be anything you desire to have or achieve. In addition to attaining money, fame or success, it is also important to experience a rich, fulfilling life in areas of the heart and home.

Regards