Selling of flat

Hi,

I am having three flat X, Y & Z. 

I have purchased  flat Y with  aggreement value rs. 25 Lakh in 2018. But in 2025 I have sell this flat with aggreement value rs. 30 Lakh. Accordingly buyer bank has paid the amount rs. 21.67 lakh to my loan bank account. And remaining amount I have invested to purchase of flat Z in sep 2025.

Meanwhile. I have sell my flat X with aggreement value rs. 29 lakhs in march  2026. Which was purchased 2009 with aggreement value rs. 9 lakhs.

can I invest the total amount of flat X in repayment of home loan which is taken for flat Z for exemption of capital gain tax.

 

Replies (6)
Quick Summary
Taxpayers selling residential flats may claim Section 54 exemption if capital gains are invested in a new residential property within prescribed timelines. Repayment of a home loan for the new flat may qualify, and ITR-2 or ITR-3 should be used to report the transaction and exemption claim.

Yes, you can claim the exemption. Because Flat Z was purchased within one year prior to the sale of Flat X, using the sale proceeds to repay the home loan taken for Flat Z is considered a valid investment under Section 54 of the Income Tax Act.

Sir

Against which ITR ? 

You should file ITR-2 to report the sale and claim the Section 54 exemption. If you have professional or business income, use ITR-3. In either case, the details of the sale and the loan repayment for the new flat will be recorded in Schedule CG.

Sec 54 tenures are very important. If there is lapse, then the fund must bd kept in case scheme.

Sir 

I do not understand lapses and which case scheme

@ Gunavant Patil

Just follow the advice given by @ Aashok FC Advisory. 

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 30 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

CA Suraj Garg & Associates

New Delhi

CA Final

View Details
Company
26 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

pushpganga ventures

Pune

CA

View Details
Company
30 September 2026
Senior Accounts Executive

Codeboard Technology

Chennai

MBA

View Details
Company
16 September 2026
Internal Audit - Team Lead

Consulting & Beyond

Chennai

CA

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
Finance Manager

Mugdha Art Studio

Hyderabad

CA

View Details
Company
08 September 2026
Semi-Qualified Assitant

Subrahmanyam & Sivudu CA Firm

Hyderabad

CA Inter

View Details
Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details