Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rudra Bansal   03 September 2021

Securities Transaction Tax - 1

My query is that If I have Income from the stock market both in the Capital Gains (Short term & Long Term) and Business (Speculative Income / Intraday) heads can I claim STT paid for trading securities taxable under Capital Gains head as a business expense incurred in Intraday (Business Income) head.

And what is the eligibility to claim a deduction of Securities Transaction Tax (STT) as a business expense?

3 Replies

Dhirajlal Rambhia

Dhirajlal Rambhia (SEO Sai Gr. Hosp.)     03 September 2021

As per Finance bill, 2008; there was change in the treatment of securities transaction tax (STT)   for investors whose income from share trading had been taxed under the head of “business income”. After the amendment, the entire STT payment been treated as expenditure against the income from trading of shares.

However, for investors who claim their profit as capital gains, there is no such provision. The STT paid isn’t treated as an expenditure and there is no tax rebate.

The STT paid for transactions claimed under head CG, cannot be claimed business expense, as it is not incurred to derive business income.

Rudra Bansal

Rudra Bansal   03 September 2021

Ok, Thank you very much.

But if an individual claims income from share trading activities under both heads capital gains and business income/ speculative income (Intraday) then can he claim STT paid on Intraday transactions as business expense.

Dhirajlal Rambhia

Dhirajlal Rambhia (SEO Sai Gr. Hosp.)     04 September 2021

Yes, but only the STT paid over intraday transactions, can be be claimed as business expense.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register