Easy Office
LCI Learning

Sap FICO and CAs

Page no : 7

ankita (article) (22 Points)
Replied 09 June 2012

hi sheli,

i hve appeared for my ca finals in may 12 for 4th attempt (already cleared my 2nd grp)....m interestd in gettin a carrer in SAP FI CO as a member of core finance team....do u think i still hve a chance in getin a carrer in this as i hve read in one of ur earlier post that most of d companies stop at 3rd attempt....secondly , as m waiting for my results, can u suggest me any activity i should undertake at this time which will help me in gettin a job after i clear...(for SAP i oly hve dat much knowledge dat i hve obtained after readin ur posts)....thirdly, i hve been offered a job of an accountant for d time being, will it help me in any case in SAP fi co...should i undertake dis job or any oder activity which will help me in future for SAP...plz rply asap...

Sheli Sehrawat (SAP Business Consultant)   (767 Points)
Replied 11 June 2012

Originally posted by : ankita

hi sheli,

i hve appeared for my ca finals in may 12 for 4th attempt (already cleared my 2nd grp)....m interestd in gettin a carrer in SAP FI CO as a member of core finance team....do u think i still hve a chance in getin a carrer in this as i hve read in one of ur earlier post that most of d companies stop at 3rd attempt....secondly , as m waiting for my results, can u suggest me any activity i should undertake at this time which will help me in gettin a job after i clear...(for SAP i oly hve dat much knowledge dat i hve obtained after readin ur posts)....thirdly, i hve been offered a job of an accountant for d time being, will it help me in any case in SAP fi co...should i undertake dis job or any oder activity which will help me in future for SAP...plz rply asap...

Hi Ankita,

In my honest opinion, you should accept this job offer of an accountant. Any organisation for that matter has some ERP in place to take care of their business processes. If not SAP, you will learn some ERP which can work as a base to your SAP career. A damage of 4 attempts done cannot be mended in a quick time. So you need to plan your career in a way that in the initial phase of your career, you will have to be a bit patient; learn steadily, plan things for yourself in a particular direction and don't jump to any opportunity.

Regarding learning SAP, you have two options available; I already shared the options earlier in this post. Please go through the thread to know more. SAP is a complex software with very clumsy terminology and techniques. You can't learn it just by reading online. You have to have a hands on experience on the same. Try and get the pirated version of the software, install it on your PC, set an organisation structure, make configurations, make mistakes and learn from them.

Once you have significant experience, you can appear for an interview in SAP consultancy.

Hope this answers your questions.

Please feel free to raise a query in case further clarity is required.

Cheers!

Sheli

CA CS ACMA MBA Pradeep (job) (81 Points)
Replied 26 June 2012

Hi.. I m ca cs cwa mba...nw i wanna go for sap but dont hv any idea that whether it will be beneficial for me as i want gud position in finance team

Replied 12 July 2012

Originally posted by : CA CS CWA MBA Pradeep
Hi..
I m ca cs cwa mba...nw i wanna go for sap but dont hv any idea that whether it will be beneficial for me as i want gud position in finance team

Hi Pradeep,

SAP will help you only if the finance dept of the organisation has SAP implemented there. Moreover I feel that you are already qualified enough to have a good position. I feel that an online training without certification will be enough for you to have operational knowledge to work better on ERPs. Investing >3.5 Lacs on certification will be a sheer waste of money for you. Purchase a book and first have an idea of the settings yourself. If you feel that you can practise on your own then install the software on ur PC and learn. Otherwise, there are lots online trainings available for the same.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Regards

Sheli

Ameya (Assistant Consultant ) (25 Points)
Replied 13 July 2012

Hi,

I am a B. Com. graduate, 23 years of age, from Mumbai. I have 1 year work experience in accounts department of a start up corporate training organisation. I have worked with Tally ERP 9, but being associated with a start up small scale set up, I dont have much of an acoounts work experience to my credit. My accounting fundamentals & theorotical knowledge is pretty decent though.

I am looking forward to excel my career in SAP & extend my profile to consultancy.

Kindly suggest if I can take SAP FI module with this profile.

Is it necesary to have an experience in accounts for pursing SAP FI & get placed with a cmpany in relevant profle?

Thanks & warm regards,

Ameya J 

Replied 13 July 2012

Originally posted by : Ameya

Hi,

I am a B. Com. graduate, 23 years of age, from Mumbai. I have 1 year work experience in accounts department of a start up corporate training organisation. I have worked with Tally ERP 9, but being associated with a start up small scale set up, I dont have much of an acoounts work experience to my credit. My accounting fundamentals & theorotical knowledge is pretty decent though.

I am looking forward to excel my career in SAP & extend my profile to consultancy.

Kindly suggest if I can take SAP FI module with this profile.

Is it necesary to have an experience in accounts for pursing SAP FI & get placed with a cmpany in relevant profle?

Thanks & warm regards,

Ameya J 

Hi Ameya,

You can very well take the course in SAP FI with this profile. Prior accounting knowledge only helps in better understanding but it is not the eligibility criteria to take up the course.

I see commerce graduates without any other professional degree excelling in SAP consultancy because they get the certification and start early. Also they are better oriented because of the specialization factor.

My best wishes.

Regards

Sheli

(Assign points through "Thank User" if the information was useful)

2 Like

Replied 13 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Thanz for ur reply. As u said i hv enough qualification for a good position in a  company but i am getting many good offers and they are asking Sap training so what should i do. I have good knowledge of TALLY, FINACLE and many other ERP's on which i hv worked in many companies during my articleship. Personally Im not interested in SAP training but is it ok taht without it i can get good position and exposure. plz clear may doubt m very confused.

Thanx in advance

Replied 16 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Thanz for ur reply. As u said i hv enough qualification for a good position in a  company but i am getting many good offers and they are asking Sap training so what should i do. I have good knowledge of TALLY, FINACLE and many other ERP's on which i hv worked in many companies during my articleship. Personally Im not interested in SAP training but is it ok taht without it i can get good position and exposure. plz clear may doubt m very confused.

Thanx in advance

Hi Pradeep,

I understand that any organisation which uses SAP as its Central Financial System prefers a candidate with some SAP exposure. You can take up onlline SAP training offered by N number of institutes for a fair understanding of SAP ERP. Or as suggested in previous answer, you can install the software on your PC and get real hands on experience of the settings. 

Regards

Sheli Sehrawat

Replied 16 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Thanx..How much it costs for Sap online training and what abt the duration???

Ameya (Assistant Consultant ) (25 Points)
Replied 16 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Thanks a ton for prompt response. It really facilitates my decision making. yes

I have couple of quries more:

1. Is working with SAP FICO creative in its nature, or over the period of time, it becomes monotonus. 

2. Working with ERP, specially SAP platform, does it lead to 'saturation' in career / growth ever?

3. Can you throw some light on career growth path of a SAP FICO Consultant? (Please mention changing designations  also)

4. I am looking forward to pursue international MBA after 5-6 years of quality work eperience, can  I think of an MBA after working as a SAP FICO Consultant for few years.

5. With merely B. Com. educational background, can I see myself competing with MBAs & CAs in SAP FiCO job market?

6. What are the essential skills (personal attributes) for becoming successful SAP FICO Consultant?

Kindly answer my queries.

Thanks & warm regards,

Ameya J

Replied 18 July 2012

Originally posted by : Ameya

Hi Sheli,

Thanks a ton for prompt response. It really facilitates my decision making. 

I have couple of quries more:

1. Is working with SAP FICO creative in its nature, or over the period of time, it becomes monotonus. 

2. Working with ERP, specially SAP platform, does it lead to 'saturation' in career / growth ever?

3. Can you throw some light on career growth path of a SAP FICO Consultant? (Please mention changing designations  also)

4. I am looking forward to pursue international MBA after 5-6 years of quality work eperience, can  I think of an MBA after working as a SAP FICO Consultant for few years.

5. With merely B. Com. educational background, can I see myself competing with MBAs & CAs in SAP FiCO job market?

6. What are the essential skills (personal attributes) for becoming successful SAP FICO Consultant?

Kindly answer my queries.

Thanks & warm regards,

Ameya J

Hi Ameya

Please find the answers below:

1. Is working with SAP FICO creative in its nature, or over the period of time, it becomes monotonous. 

It’s one of those avenues where you get to use your functional skills as much as possible. In the long run, you get to decide the organisation structure configurations and process structures in SAP which requires prior industry knowledge of the client business and a corporate perspective.

1. Working with ERP, specially SAP platform, does it lead to 'saturation' in career / growth ever?

Like every other professions, SAP profile might also lead to saturation. But I have seen people in Audit/Taxation/Accounts feeling saturation in as early as 2 years. Whereas life in SAP consultancy only starts after 2 years. SAP is very vast in nature. Also, you don’t work with the same team, for the same client, on the same scope always. You work on projects and move to other project after each implementation or whenever you feel that you are not gaining anything (learning-wise).

1. Can you throw some light on career growth path of a SAP FICO Consultant? (Please mention changing designations  also)

The designation tags assigned vary from organisation to organisation. The growth path is same as that of other profiles.

1. I am looking forward to pursue international MBA after 5-6 years of quality work eperience, can  I think of an MBA after working as a SAP FICO Consultant for few years.

Yes sure you can pursue MBA. Later, you can get into Project Management wherein you will be managing the SAP Implementation/Support projects on a bigger level.

1. With merely B. Com. educational background, can I see myself competing with MBAs & CAs in SAP FiCO job market?

Yes you can. Very much. However the pay package will be a bit lower in the initial phase of your career as compared to MBAs and CAs who are hired on a higher pay package. But in the long run, its only experience that matters.

1. What are the essential skills (personal attributes) for becoming successful SAP FICO Consultant?

1. You should be able to comprehend business scenarios very well.
  2. You should be able to understand the regulatory framework in which the client organisation operates, to replicate the taxation/accounting/costing related compliances in ERP system.
  3. You should be tech-savvy.
  4. You should be a good team player.

Regards

Sheli

1 Like

Replied 20 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Can u plz suggest me some institutes in mumbai who provides Sap training. I want only practical training in FICO module and not the certification as u said in ur earlier posts that it will cost around Rs.10000 to Rs. 30000.I have checked many websites on institutes but did not find any suitable one. Plz suggest me if u know these kind of institutes in Mumbai.

Plz reply soon as i want to start this next month.

Thanx in advance..

VIJAY SHAH (Associate consultant) (21 Points)
Replied 23 July 2012

I am MBA in finance and BE in computer. I have Sap ceritication (Technical) with three years experience and one year as funcational. 

Where are the opening for job

Darshan

Replied 24 July 2012

Originally posted by : VIJAY SHAH

I am MBA in finance and BE in computer. I have Sap ceritication (Technical) with three years experience and one year as funcational. 

Where are the opening for job

Darshan

Hi Vijay,

Send me your CV at sheli.sehrawat @ tcs.com. There are FICO functional consultants' requirements in GL,AR,AP,Taxation at Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore and Kolkata in TCS.

Regards

Sheli

Replied 24 July 2012

Hi Sheli,

Can u plz suggest me some institutes in mumbai who provides Sap training. I want only practical training in FICO module and not the certification as u said in ur earlier posts that it will cost around Rs.10000 to Rs. 30000.I have checked many websites on institutes but did not find any suitable one. Plz suggest me if u know these kind of institutes in Mumbai.

Plz reply soon as i want to start this next month.

Thanx in advance..

Hi Pradeep,

Try following links.

https://www.asklaila.com/search/Mumbai/-/Sap%20training%20institutes/?searchNearby=false&v=listing

https://www.grotal.com/Mumbai/SAP-Training-C45/

Regards

Sheli

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Subscribe to the latest topics :

Search Forum: