Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rcm on rent

sneha sitlani   15 September 2020

sneha sitlani

1 likes  34 points

| My Other Post

I pay rent of rs 3000 p.m. I have gst number and the recipient is unregistered. do i have to pay rcm on rent?

avater

Sagar Patel (Tax and Business Consultant)     15 September 2020

Sagar Patel
Tax and Business Consultant 
 841 likes  9147 points

View Profile | My Other Post

Not required to Pay RCM on rent..
As section 9(4) of CGST Act, 2017 RCM on URD Purchase is scrapped for all except Promoter/ developers for Specified items..

avater

Shivam RC (Student)     15 September 2020

Shivam RC
Student 
 2621 likes  20472 points

You are not required to pay RCM on Rent paid to Unregistered Landlord. Rent is not covered under Section 9(3) of the CGST Act 2017. And Section 9(4) of the CGST Act 2017 has been amended vide CGST Amendment Act 2018 and now RCM will be only on Purchase of Notified Goods / Services procured by Notified Dealers from URD.

As of now, only Real Estate Developers and associated goods ( like Cement ) have been notified w.e f 01/04/2019 for RCM u/s 9(4) of the CGST Act 2017.

Regards,
Shivam RC.

1 Like
avater

sneha sitlani

1 likes  34 points

And I also pay 4000 rent to a registered dealer. what will be the gst treatment for that

avater

Sagar Patel (Tax and Business Consultant)     15 September 2020

Sagar Patel
 841 likes  9147 points

Rent of residential property is Exempt from GST.
and if you are paying rent for a property other than residential property than that Registered Party will charge GST @ 18% on rent Invoice.

You can take ITC of same....

avater

Shivam RC
Student 
 2621 likes  20472 points

There will be no GST treatment for you for the Rent paid to the GST Registered Landlord. The landlord will issue you a Tax Invoice and collect GST @ 18% on Rent Amount. If it is a commercial property and is being used in the course or furtherance of business, then you can claim ITC.

Note : As per Notification No. 12/2017 - Central Tax ( Rate ), dated 28th June 2017, Residential House Property let out for Residential purpose is "EXEMPTED" from GST.

Regards.

2 Like
avater

sneha sitlani

1 likes  34 points

Sir the first question was about the rental of a commercial property where are i pay rent of 3000 p.m to an unregistered dealer. So I am not liable to pay rcm right?

avater

Shivam RC
Student 
 2621 likes  20472 points

Yes Ma'am you are right...
You are not liable for RCM in the first case

avater

sneha sitlani   18 September 2020

sneha sitlani

1 likes  34 points

What are the specified items on which rcm is applicable after the amended cgst act 2018? Does it also provide relief from paying rcm on frieght?

avater

Sagar Patel (Tax and Business Consultant)     18 September 2020

Sagar Patel
 841 likes  9147 points

If you take Property on rent from Unregistered Party, whether property is residential or commercial...NO RCM
If you take property on rent from Registered Party, than if Property is residential than Exempt_No tax and if It's commercial than Regi.Peraon will Charge GST from you along with Rent.

RCM on freight Paid to GTA (Goods Transport Agency) is applicable as per Section. 9(3) i.e compulsory RCM_ So, there is no relaxation in that section and accordingly you are liable to pay GST under RCM, if you take service of GTA.

Section 9(4) is RCM on Purchase from unregistered dealer, which is applicable to all, Now, after amendments it's applicable to ""Promoter/ developers only"" for the ‘specified supplies'

Specified Goods here means..
1.if Promoter / developers purchase Cement and Capital Goods from unregistered dealer than developer is liable to pay tax under RCM.
2. If Purchase of Developers from Unregistered Party is more than 20% of total Purchase, than on excess of 20% URD Expenses developer will liable to Pay GST under RCM.(only 20,% URD Expenses allowed)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »

Trending Tags
GST Live Class    |    x