Outstanding demand already paid but new notice

I had an outstanding demand of Rs 510 under sec 143(1)(a) for Ass Year 2010-2011 in my account. I went ahead and paid using the link given on website and got challan copy on Mar 19,2020 . The payment is also showing in Form 26as for that ass year,

But on Mar 23,2020 a new demand of amount 520 is generated for same year under 220(2) by CPC. Please suggest what should I do ? Is this new DIN uploaded by mistake or they want me to pay Rs 10 but uploaded notice of 520.

Please kindly give advise

Replies (3)
Quick Summary
A user paid an outstanding tax demand for AY 2010-2011, confirmed by their Form 26AS. However, they subsequently received a new demand notice for the same year, apparently for interest on the late payment. The user is seeking clarification on whether the new demand is an error and how to proceed with payment, as the online challan system doesn't clearly distinguish between basic tax and interest.

No. this new demand under section 220 refers to interest on tax paid after 30days of demand. You would have paid rs. 510 30days after it was demanded. So, this interest of rs. 520 is charged.

Hello Sir, Thank you for your reply. The date of original notice on website is showing in 2011 but it was never adjusted with refund for so many years . I came to know about it now. Can you please also answer below 3 questions

1. Is there any option to get this interest waived off?
2. This new notice is of Mar 23, Can I pay it till Apr 23 ?
3. When I try to pay using link given on income tax website, It redirects me to NSDL and bank the amount is automatically shown under basic tax instead of interest in challan copy. Can I go ahead and pay as basic tax, because there is no option to edit

Thank you

 I request expert to kindly reply to my questions

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
09 September 2026
SENIOR AUDITOR & ACCOUNTS MANAGER

Anupam Parashar & Co.

Ghaziabad

CA Final

View Details
Company
Featured 12 September 2026
Assistant Manager - Finance & Compliance

Naveen Fintech Pvt Ltd

Kolkata

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
CA Article Trainee

SR BAGAI & Co.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
17 September 2026
Chartered Accountant

Dass Gupta & Associates

Gurgaon

CA

View Details
Company
15 September 2026
Client-site CA associate

Aditya Muley and Co

Mumbai

CA

View Details