Updated Online video classes available for CA,CS,CMA for May20 and Nov20 batch. Call: 1800-3000-0505

Nri income tax queries

Varun (consultant)     19 August 2019

Varun
consultant 
 30 points

| My Other Post

I moved to UKin sep 2017 and continuing out here. I have sent remittances to my Indian saving bank account on regular basis.

My query is for fy 2018-19, I believe I shall be NRI as I was out of India for more than 182 days. I need to fill in ITR-1 or ITR-2. Pls confiirm ?

Since my earnings in India is primarily FD interest which are linked to normal savings account and not to a nre/ nro account. How shall these be accounted for?

If I have to take a loan in future my ITR return numbers shall be very low impacting the credit worthiness. How shall this be taken care?

As my remittances are in normal savings account. Do I need to pay any tax on these remittances? Pls advise.

Thanks

avater

Kapadia Pravin   19 August 2019

Kapadia Pravin

883 likes  13725 points

View Profile | My Other Post

File ITR2
Upto 2.5 lakhs and 3 lakhs are basic exemption limit for individual and senior citizens respectively

Varun
consultant 
 30 points

Thanks for the response. I understand that I need to file ITR-2 as a NRI.

The other question being:

Are remittances taxed for NRIs?

Thanks

avater

Kapadia Pravin

883 likes  13725 points

No taxes on remittances as they are not income but your capital amount

Varun
consultant 
 30 points

Thanks for the response.

Just a last question..Is it good to convert a normal savings into NRE account etc.

Is there any impact of not converting the normal saving account to NRE account?

Also my question on credit worthiness since ITR I believe is primary input..will the other inputs like bank statements address the credit worthiness part

Thanks

avater

Kapadia Pravin

883 likes  13725 points

For credit worthiness you have bank statements and also Income Tax return of the country where you reside

Varun
consultant 
 30 points

Thanks Pravin.

Just a last question on the need of NRE account or shall the normal saving account will serve the purpose.

Is there any impact of not converting the normal saving account to NRE account?

Thanks

avater

Kapadia Pravin

883 likes  13725 points

NRE account allows repatriation of funds abroad.
NRO Account balance are not repatriable

avater

Suresh Thiyagarajan (Student)     20 August 2019

Suresh Thiyagarajan
Student 
 249 likes  3946 points

1. NRI living abroad normally maintains two types of accounts. Non-Resident Rupee Account (NRE) and Non-Resident Ordinary Rupee Account (NRO)   
2. NRE account is an account maintained by a Non-resident for repatriation of his foreign income to India and maintain the same in Indian denominated rupee of your foreign income. This can be in any form like savings, current, etc. The important point to be noted in here is that this account will not be taxable as it is nothing but your foreign income denominated in Indian rupee. Hence, interest earned on this account will not be taxable. 
3. On the other hand NRO account which is also maintained by NRI for his Indian income. We all know NRI being a non-resident cannot have a normal savings account as residents. Hence NRO account. This account will have all your Indian income like FD interest, Income from House property and so on. Any interest earned on this account will be taxable. 
4. So it would be prudent for you to maintain two accounts (NRE and NRO) for the purpose of proper accountability. Otherwise, your foreign income could be mixed up with Indian income or vice versa. 
Please correct me if the above interpretation has an alternative view. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »