I am not discouraging any one from taking CA course. I just like to share my experience of past three years. I request the readers of ca club not to commit my mistake. I am not saying some thing new, most of points here are just a repetition what you may be heard else where.
1) Be determined to do CA, do not join the course because your friends or relatives are joining the course. Do a self analysis of your self before joining the CA course. Remember to be successful CA you need three or more years of dedication. I joined CA without knowing what it takes to be a ca, just joined because my friends joined the course
2) After joining the course do not look back, Go ahead and complete the course at the earliest. I left a well paying job in year 2007 to do my articles. But lost track mid way. I many a times saw my friends who were in the corporate world and felt bad for leaving the corporate. The biggest mistake i did in life.
3) Never waste your time during articleship period. Do not crib about nature of work, colleagues and boss. Make the maximum use of your articleship period. During work you should be able to learn at least 20% of your direct tax. Most of the firms practice in direct tax. Do not say that i was not given direct tax work. Remember 3 idiots movie, knowledge is from every where. Learn from your colleagues.
4) Study regularly do not waste time. One accounting standard a week, will make you to master AS in 7 odd months. Just an example.
5) If you have joined coaching centers never miss a class. Think in advance and join classes at appropriate time. Do no crib that I had worked in office. Plan your classes. I had a senior in office; he was in charge of all important audits in my office. But he never missed a class. When I was in charge I missed many a classes. My senior cleared in the first attempt and I did not clear after three attempts also.
6) If addicted to some thing forget it for three years. I was addicted to TV and internet which has ruined my life.
7) Select a book and stick on to it. Do not collect humpty number of notes from different coaching centers and study the same subject in different ways. You will never complete the syllabus.
8) If your handwriting and English grammar is bad, improve it. I failed in my first group of CA final in my first attempt because of my handwriting. I had cleared all the subjects but went by average. Revise your high school mathematics also.
9) Remember first attempt is the best attempt. The boss gives the maximum number of exam leave. The enthusiasm which you have in first attempt never stays with you when you go to the second attempt and so on.
10) There are many common topics in the first group. So strike all the common topics and study it only once. While revising (i.e. for 3 rd time of revision) strike off common questions, your revision will be useful.
11) Make your own notes as much as possible. It is very difficult to study other wise one day before the exam. Practice writing for theory subject also.
12) Give importance to ICAI material.
I was earning around 24.000 when I left my company for CA articleship. Now as only CA inter company are offering only 15,000. I did not listen to my parents and spoilt my life, my friends you do not spoil your life’s.
GOD BLESS YOU ALL