My Tips and Tricks for Taxation - Self study

CA Madhukiran Reddy (CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT) (12714 Points)

02 March 2011  

MY TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE TAXATION

Hi Friends, after writing my article on MY TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE ACCOUNTS many of our friends asked me to write an article on the other subjects also.

So, As per our friends request I am now sharing my tips and tricks for Taxation subject, which in my opinion highly scoring area in CA exams. As I already said earlier if u manage to get above 60 in Accounts, Taxation and Law there is no aggregate problem for you in your exams. To achieve the same consistent study, hard work and knowledge about the subjects is required.

When coming directly into the subject!!!

Taxation is categorized into three categories

INCOME TAX (IT) – 50 Marks

SERVICE TAX (ST) – 25 Marks

VALUE ADDED TAX (VAT) –25 Marks

INCOME TAX:

When coming to Income Tax the Very Very Important aspect is HEADS OF INCOME, only from which u can get

1 total income problem nearly about 16 marks,

Minimum of 2 practical problems on individual heads (for ex: Some times from HP, Salaries, CG or from other heads) which covers of 10 – 15 marks.

To answer the total income problem u should also be thorough with the Sec 10 exemptions, Sec 80C – 80U deductions and setoff and carry forward of losses.

If u Able to complete the specified chapters above, within a specified time, Nearly 75% of income Tax (For IPCC) will be completed.

The only remaining is minor chapters like Residential Status, Clubbing of Income, Advance Tax, Interest and one major chapter is TDS.

From the above you will be able to complete another 20% of syllabus in IT.

The balance 5%, from where we get everybody doesn’t know. Most of the cases that 5% part is covered with twisted questions (u can also say unexpected questions) which are from misc. chapters not covered from above.

RELEVANCY OF SECTIONS IN EXAMS:

Quoting of Sections in exams is not at all relevant and no marks will be deducted for NOT quoting of sections instead will be deducted only for WRONG quoting of sections.

Instead of Sections learn the provisions carefully. Each and every minor provision is very relevant in examination.

Quote & have idea about the following sections when computing the total income.

INCOME FROM SALARIES

Deductions:

16(ii) – Entertainment Allowance

16(iii) – Professional Tax

INCOME FROM HOUSE PROPERTY

Standard deductions U/s 24

INCOME FROM BUSINESS OR PROFESSION

Especially in this chapter learning of sections from 30 to 44 is very important because sometimes examiner will give the questions in the following manner.

“Compute the Income under section _______ of Mr.X for the AY 2011-12”

If the examiner gives questions like this we should able to answer the questions. To this idea about the sections and provisions in PGBP is very important.

The worst possibility of giving the questions like the above is from PGBP only.

INCOME FROM CAPITAL GAINS

Section 54 is relevant

INCOME FROM OTHER SOURCES

Provisions from Dividend, Gift, Interest etc., are relevant.

For the purpose of Gift u should also know the meaning of relative.

GENERAL

Finally, Deductions under section 80C – 80U and

TDS under section 194.

SERVICE TAX & VAT:

SERVICE TAX

One of the advantages for IPCC is introducing the ST & VAT for 50 marks.

These are very simple topics and the questions will be straight forward.

Nearly More or Less 130 services are there but you need not read all services for the examination. Our Institute will give 5 to 6 services for the examination purpose.

Only one practical problem will be given in examinations from the services said by institute and all others are straight forward questions.

VAT

Value Added Tax is also a very simple concept only straight questions will be there. Nothing will be twisted.

Here also one problem will be given in exam.

Our aim in TAXATION is to get above 40 only from SERVICE TAX & VAT and because of Taxation we should cross 70 marks in aggregate.

To achieve this systematic study is required without wasting our time.

Try the following pattern, Hope it is useful.

After completing the Accounts till 1th march 2011, we will start the tax from 12th onwards

DATE

TOPIC

No. of days

Marks

1.  INCOME TAX

March 12

Basic concepts, Residential status and House Property

1 day

10 - 12

March 13

Salaries and Capital Gains

1 day

15 - 16

March 14 - 15

Business or Profession and other Sources

2 days

March 16

Section 10 Exemptions and Section 80C – 80U deductions

1 day

No separate question will be asked.

March 17

TDS and Advance tax

1 day

5 - 10

March 18

Set Off and carry forward of losses and Clubbing of Income and misc.

March 19

2.  SERVICE TAX

1 day

March 20

3.  VAT

1 day

The above time schedule is created based on my analysis. For some one PGBP chapter is difficult, another TDS is difficult and others Capital gains are difficult. If someone lack in one chapter spend more time on that chapter and spend less time another chapter which you feels easy.

By following the schedule

From March 1st to March 11th   -  Accounts (Group 1 & Group 2) will be completed and

From March 12th to March 20th  -  Taxation will be completed.

Another 4 subjects in 40 days.

Friends I am article assistant in one audit firm and regularly carrying audits because of which I don’t have enough time to prepare study schedule for all the subjects as and when I get a time I will prepare for each subject. As I already said just like the above prepare the study schedule and time table for the remaining subjects by you and follow the time table. This would be more useful for your examinations.

By this I will conclude this topic. Don’t leave any question in examination hall attempt all questions. This could be possible only if you put consistent study and hard work.

ALSO PLEASE SEE MY OTHER RELATED ARTICLE on the same category:

My tips and tricks for accounts