Avail 20% discount on updated CA lectures for Dec 21 .Use Code RESULT20 !! Call : 088803-20003

ICICI

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ashish Kr Mishra (CA-final & CS-final)     03 October 2010

My stammering problem

Hi this is Ashish Mishra CA-final & CS-final. I stammer a lot. My life became a burden for me. I tried much but not succed to elaminate it. I think it will harm my carrier. How can i find a job with a stumbling voice?  If anybody have the same problem or some solution which  can be self used, Plz post it. I know it cant be cured bt it can be reduced to minimal level. But how?????????

Thanks with regards

Ashish

16 Replies

Rohit

Rohit ([ ] )     03 October 2010

Ever spoke to a Doctor?

subash

subash (CA Final Student)     03 October 2010

Causes Of Stammering

Shyness
Some people are born shy and some people acquire shyness. Although the reasons may differ, one of the main causes found in research about stammering is shyness. People who generally prefer to be alone may stammer when they find themselves in big group. They feel like fish out of water in any social situation and that is why they stammer. This kind of stammering is curable.

Lack Of Self-Confidence
Many people with low self-confidence are known to stammer. They stammer because they are constantly worried that they may speak wrong and people will laugh at them. Children who are bullied from other children or are scolded from their parents may generally fall into the low self-esteem trap and think very little of themselves and thus stammer as then they have no control on their speech.

Pressure From Family
Sometimes too much pressure from family may make a child stammer. If a child is expected to deliver high percentage in everything he does, then he/she may develop the habit of stammering, as they don’t find themselves to be able to cope up with the pressure and find themselves crushed by it.

Genetic/Heredity
If someone of a family suffers from stammering then chances of passing it to the child increases. It is generally chronic and very difficult to cure, however with the help of speech therapist it can be lessened.

Disease
Sometimes a disease can hamper the speech mechanism. If you have suffered from a disease for long and find yourself stuttering then it may be because of that disease. Although generally it is curable, it may persist for long in some cases.

General Cure For Stammering

Develop Self-Esteem

Easier said than done. However, it is very important to develop confidence in oneself not only for curing stammering but also for any walk of life. You just have to believe in yourself and then the world will believe in you. Develop some skills and try to participate in everything in which you can. Winning is not always important, participation is what matters the most. Don’t care too much about what people think of you. You cannot make everyone happy. So be happy and life your life fully.

Practice
Practice makes you perfect. Clichéd, but true to the core. One of the most effective methods to cure stuttering is by practicing. Practice by talking with yourself in the mirror. And you can also take the help of audio books and your family members and friends. You would notice that you don’t stammer that much when you’re around people whom you’re comfortable with. So, keep on trying and you will triumph.

Speech Therapy
One of the best-known methods, speech therapy is a process on the basis of relaxing the speech mechanism to reduce stuttering. It includes slowing down the speed of speech, costal breathing, prolonging the sound or word and taking deep breathes before speaking. Join your nearest speech therapy class for treatment.
2 Like

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Ashish Kr Mishra

Hi this is Ashish Mishra CA-final & CS-final. I stammer a lot. My life became a burden for me. I tried much but not succed to elaminate it. I think it will harm my carrier. How can i find a job with a stumbling voice?  If anybody have the same problem or some solution which  can be self used, Plz post it. I know it cant be cured bt it can be reduced to minimal level. But how?????????

hey Ashish, who said that stammering cant be cured. Havent u heard of Winston Churchill, the past president of United Kingdom. As a small child, he used to stammer a lot but he had become a one of the great prolific orator in the later part of his life. Take him as an example and never give up. My suggestion to overcome stammering is that follow the principles given in Dale Carnegie's "How to Influence people by public speaking". It will help u to an extent. Also try speaking to strangers and to new friends if u feel u are stammering when u speak to new persons. If u feel that u stammer bcos of poor command in English, then try to speak in English to ur near and close friends.

Gokul Viswanath Shenoy

Gokul Viswanath Shenoy (Company Secretary & Finance Manager)     03 October 2010

Dont worry, be positive..God will make a way for you.

(Guest)

Hey Ashish.. I have one solution for you......Practice it for 21 days.. I hope u will be relieved

1st of  all - ELIMINATE YOUR NERVOUSNESS...DONT THINK WHAT PEOPLE WILL SAY IF YOU STAMMER.... WHILE ANY DISCUSSION PUT YOUR POINT WITHOUT ANY HESITATION..

2ND- THINK BEFORE U START SPEAKING... TAKE A DEEP BREATH BEFORE STARTING TO SPEAK...SPEAK SLOWLY CHEWING EACH WORD IN YOUR MOUTH..

3RD- GO TO AN AYURVEDIC STORE .. ASK FOR "SARASWATI BACH" IT IS VERY SOUR IN TASTE.. CRUSH IT INTO BITS & THEN EVERY MORNING TAKE IT WITH A GLASS OF WATER..

4TH - STUDY YOUR STUDY MATERIAL LOUDLY..........

HOPE THIS WILL OVERCOME YOUR STAMMERING,.... DO INFORM ME ABOUT UR PROGRESS AFTER 21 DAYS ... IT WILL HELP..

BEST WISHES

1 Like
hireshire

hireshire (n/a)     03 October 2010

you need a therapist

mukta

mukta (Analyst)     04 October 2010

Hi Ashish,

You can join Art of living basic course and do Sudarshan Kriya daily. It really helps a lot in so many things. I am sure it also helps in building up the confidence, in concentrating on a particular thing.

Millions of people has been benefited from it. I have observed lot of changes in the personality, behaviour after practicing pranayama techniques taught in the course.

You can do it at any centre nearby. If you are interested, you can enquire about the same.

All the best

Sandya

Sandya (Article)     04 October 2010

Originally posted by : mukta

Hi Ashish,

You can join Art of living basic course and do Sudarshan Kriya daily. It really helps a lot in so many things. I am sure it also helps in building up the confidence, in concentrating on a particular thing.

Millions of people has been benefited from it. I have observed lot of changes in the personality, behaviour after practicing pranayama techniques taught in the course.

You can do it at any centre nearby. If you are interested, you can enquire about the same.

All the best
CA Suraj Lakhotia

CA Suraj Lakhotia (IndigoLearn)     04 October 2010

Be Positive and practice speaking aloud daily infront of the mirror. Even Hrithik Roshan had this problem If you believe yourself nothing is impossible.

You can also buy Fluentzy by The HIndu and Practice from it. Watch english news and movies (with subtitles)

CA Faraz Ahmed

CA Faraz Ahmed (In service)     04 October 2010

Hi Ashish ,

I can understand your problem as I myself had been a victim of it( I had both stuttering and stammering). I used to feel really embarrassing on many events due to it. Sometimes

in front of my Principal  and other office colleagues .Sometimes in front of Clients also. My Parents also used to feel bad but they never expressly complained about it. 

This all continued till Nov 2009 when i had appeared for PCC, during these days people had just suggested me to talk aloud in front of mirror but nothing seemed to be working. After i had appeared for PCC I had noticed that whenever i used to talk with myself alone I m able to speak without any hesitation. The fact was that whenever I used to ask my mind "WILL I BE ABLE TO SPEAK THIS (whatever i wanted to say)" and the reply was "NO U WONT BE ABLE TO SAY IT". Thus, my actual drawback was of fear.

From that day I had committed that the only solution to overcome it was speaking without fear and with confidence, I became successful in achieving it . Im now glad to tell u i can speak without any kind of hesitation  and the same will u b also. Now i can address group discussions also.

I truly agree with Srivatsav that the book by Dale Carnegie "How to Influence people by public speaking" really helps as it also helped me. No matter  how many speech therapist u consult but every therapy would require ur personal effort and your confidence. I know some people who used to stammer a lot but when they improved they can now speak more perfectly than others.

I can assure that the day from when u will start speaking calmly and thinking of what u r going to utter, u will achieve triumph. You can mail me at dexterousdude.ahmed68 @ gmail.com if u need to discuss regarding it.

Regards,

Faraz Ahmed

Ashish Kr Mishra

Ashish Kr Mishra (CA-final & CS-final)     07 October 2010

Thanks........ Now i am reading " The art of public speaking" by Dale Carnegie. I am trying to boost my confidence level for better speaking. 21 days wala method v follow kar raha hu. Once again lot of thanks for your kind suggestions.

Ashish

Akshay L Rode

Akshay L Rode (Student)     08 October 2010

hay, i m akshay, i m also like u  stamerer bilive on me, i m an ipcc student , i never thought that such a problem wil b discessed on ca club but it done. MY LIFE IS SAME LIKE U , perhaps u don't know what r my feelings while typing the words , but i have realived that someone is also like me and he is in ca final .It is realy dificult task to accompnies with a highly professional carriar with a STAMRER , but adj is life , particularly for a ca .at the final i would like to say ,GOD HAS GIVEN CONSTANT LEVEL OF ART FOR EVERYONE ........Thank u For Sharing ... (akshay)

CHANDAN NAGARAJA

CHANDAN NAGARAJA (student)     25 October 2011

hii I"m studying 7th sem Mechanical Engineering in R.V.College of Engineering,Bangalore. As u guys know placements starts in final yr, i also attempted for it. I shortlited for 10 companies final round interview, but didnt get one single jib yet.Despite of clearing all technical rounds i failed in HR rounds mainly coz of stammering.( My marks are good.10th, 12th n Engineering all are above 80%.)

Almost all  HR says " Oh..!! u got Speech(stammering) problem... i think it will affect recruitment process, So good luck". Even some HR asks me about how did i get stammer..? y only u got to stammer in ur family? y does ur mother/father/brother doesnt has it? Y u think u stammer..? . Such kind of questions i hav faced in HR interview. I dont knw wat HR know abt an Engineering. He is MBA, he cant understand my intelligence regarding subjects.(i got rejectd in final round of HR Top companies like Robert BOSCH, HCL, Kennametal)

So anyone who can help me with ma stammering problem.. or any suggestion...? I'm realy worried about my career..?? lost hopes of tat i can achieve anything in life..?Its really annoying and it haunts me in night..?My friends all got placed and they laughs at me silently?

CHANDAN NAGARAJA

CHANDAN NAGARAJA (student)     25 October 2011

hii I"m studying 7th sem Mechanical Engineering in R.V.College of Engineering,Bangalore. As u guys know placements starts in final yr, i also attempted for it. I shortlited for 10 companies final round interview, but didnt get one single jib yet.Despite of clearing all technical rounds i failed in HR rounds mainly coz of stammering.( My marks are good.10th, 12th n Engineering all are above 80%.)

Almost all  HR says " Oh..!! u got Speech(stammering) problem... i think it will affect recruitment process, So good luck". Even some HR asks me about how did i get stammer..? y only u got to stammer in ur family? y does ur mother/father/brother doesnt has it? Y u think u stammer..? . Such kind of questions i hav faced in HR interview. I dont knw wat HR know abt an Engineering. He is MBA, he cant understand my intelligence regarding subjects.(i got rejectd in final round of HR Top companies like Robert BOSCH, HCL, Kennametal)

So anyone who can help me with ma stammering problem.. or any suggestion...? I'm realy worried about my career..?? lost hopes of tat i can achieve anything in life..?Its really annoying and it haunts me in night..?My friends all got placed and they laughs at me silently?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion

Popular Discussion

view more »

Subscribe to the latest topics :
Search Forum:

Trending Tags