Lets unite against injustice to PCC students

Rajeshwari (CA Liceciate ICSI (CFA) Research Analyst)   (155 Points)

06 September 2009  

Dear All,
I was following the results of PCC announced on 1st Sept’09.
I appeal to the institute to pls reply to these questions so that we have faith in the Inst henceforth:

I will be extremely grateful if you could reply to these constantly nagging questions:

Why are students not given a photocopy of their own answer scriptts?
 (I know of many earnest students instances wherein they have got atrocious set of marks, esp. in the second group. And all these students to whom I am referring to are deserving plus students who worked hard for their exams. And they did not in their wildest imagination think that they would fail, as they had performed exceedingly well in their exams.) . They were all shell shocked post the results.
Can students who are sure that they do not deserve to fail have recourse legally to fight their case, as in, under RTI act, or approach the court of law? I fail to understand why a deserving student must be a victim of luck after burning the midnight oil for 6 months and performing well in exams?
Should we not as a professional body be more transparent about the evaluations so that the students, the future CAs, will not lose trust and respect for the profession and to ICAI?

Have the empanelled paper evaluators actually evaluated the papers correctly? To what extent is our evaluation system fool proof?

Does the institute not possess the necessary wherewithal for evaluation?

Esp. since the paper evaluation job was in the peak audit season? Have they actually done justice to the evaluations? (Hope the evaluators remember that they are dealing with lives of CA students) Are the evaluators well qualified to correct the papers?

Was there an uploading mistake which has happened?

Initially, results were to be out on Monday. Finally, students were kept waiting for an entire day and the results posted the next day. Institute did not even come out with a reason as to why the delay. Instead even in the announcement which they posted regarding the delay in results, first there was glorification about the institute and then a final line about the results postponed to the next day!!!

There are rumors that once the pass percentage crosses a certain limit, the evaluators are given instructions to reduce the pass percentage?!!?

Till date, we always brushed this aside as a rumor. Now, post the results of good students coming out bad, doubts do arise on the scheme of evaluation.
Are the professional and deserving CA students at the mercy of luck / fate / industry demand for CAs during a particular exam?

Will the re-totaling actually be done or is there a pre-printed standard reply “No change in marks”

Also, if there is a huge difference between the marks declared and the re-totalled marks, will the Institute accept its fault and come out with the right results or, on the contrary, brush the correct results under the carpet, since, if, a huge difference arises in marks after re-totaling, it may tarnish the Institute’s reputation

With most students being helpless now, and applying for re-totaling (I was informed that there is no option to apply for re-valuation), will the re-totaling really be done? And what purpose does re-totaling really serve if re-evaluation is not permitted?
There are instances in which students have attempted for 90plus marks in the papers and have got marks in 20s. This can never happen, since even if just theory is attempted properly, one can score 20s from that itself. Unless when there has been a mistake in the evaluation.

I appeal to you to visit the forum on CAclubIndia.

Pls do not turn a blind eye to the postings thereat.

As members of the professional body, we do have an obligation to ensure that the upcoming CAs are not meted out injustice. I hope the institute does not turn a blind eye to this.

We are qualified members and at ease now. But, if we were take some time off from our packed schedules and think from the earnest students' side, we may start to realize, as to why students have started to lose faith in the system.

Lets face facts as they are. Students have started losing faith in this noble profession. If issues like this are not corrected and acted upon, I do not feel Institute can continue to boast of its high professional standards.

With due respects to the Institute and to The Profession, I appeal to you all to pls. do consider this issue.