Labour contract and service tax

Sunil P (Partner)     17 July 2015

Sunil P
Partner 
 30 points

| My Other Post

In the negative list regime of service tax are pure labour contracts chargeable to service tax? In this case no control / supervision is excercised by the service receiver over the labour. Is there any constitutional prohibition on taxing labour contracts under service tax?

Thanks

Sunil

avater

U S Sharma (glidor@gmail.com)     17 July 2015

U S Sharma
glidor@gmail.com 
 1739 likes  21021 points

View Profile | My Other Post

if the labour is has employer / employee relation with the principal, then no service tax, but statuary benefits like ESI/ PF/PT/Graduity / Leave  is burden of principal employer, 

in absence of above, it is manpower recuirtment services taxable under service tax, 

1 Like
avater

Madhukar N Hiregange (Chartered Accountant)     18 July 2015

Madhukar N Hiregange
Chartered Accountant 
 1827 likes  37611 points

Other than employee or manpower- one more important difference needs otbe understood.

The difference between a job to be done and manpower supply is that the responsibility for the work if with the contractor then it is not manpower supply. If with the employer where no responsibility on contractor other than provding the persons, then it is manpower supply.  

1 Like

Sunil P (Partner)     21 July 2015

Sunil P
Partner 
 30 points

Originally posted by : Madhukar N Hiregange
Other than employee or manpower- one more important difference needs otbe understood.

The difference between a job to be done and manpower supply is that the responsibility for the work if with the contractor then it is not manpower supply. If with the employer where no responsibility on contractor other than provding the persons, then it is manpower supply.  

I am sorry I had not elaborated the situation. In the present case the contractee does not have employer - employee relationship with the labour.The contractee has an agreement  with the contractor that the contractee will supply all material for plastering the building and the labour (For plastering the building) has to be performed by the Contractor and his employees at sq.ft rate mutually agreed. The labour will be managed by the contractor .Will such a type of contract  attract service tax? Thanks in advance

avater

JAGANATHAN R ACMA, SAP(Fi-Co) (Manager Accounts and Finance)     31 July 2015

JAGANATHAN R ACMA, SAP(Fi-Co)
Manager Accounts and Finance 
 24 likes  850 points

before making the payment ., you have to consider the service tax., the service tax not consider in labour bill. you have to pay the service tax to department under RCM

avater

U S Sharma (glidor@gmail.com)     11 August 2015

U S Sharma
glidor@gmail.com 
 1739 likes  21021 points

dont make the issue complex. 

if the plastering materials are supplied fully or partially and manpower is supplied by contractor then it would go catagorized in "works contract" which would attract service tax and local state vat also under WCT section. 

avater

glgupta (ca)     14 July 2019

glgupta
ca 
 23 points

IN CASE OF LABOUR CONTRACTOR  EXECUTING SOME CONSTRUCTION WORK FOR  WHICH MATERIAL IS BEING PROVIDED BY THE CONTRACTEE  THAN SERVICE TAX AT FULL RATE WITHOUT ANY ABATEMENT SHALL BE LEVIABLE

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Popular Discussion

view more »