income tax fine

Hi I am  salaried employeee which has not recived salary since two year.

I have recived a  letter from IT department that Pay fine as You have not filled the returns for last two years.what nshould I do.should I file Nil (0)returns or should I tell them status with promise that Once I get salary of last two years I will file it.thanks

 

regareds

Replies (2)

Hello,

there is no need to worry, all you are required to do is to file your last two years returns disclosing  NIL income. ( assuming that you do any income from any other source what so ever like business, FD interest etc etc.)

Under the income tax act a person is required to pay fine of Rs. 5000 if he fails to file his return of income as reqiured under the act and under the act only those persons are required to furnish return WHOSE INCOME EXCEEDS THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT CHARGEABLE TO TAX. since in your case your income is NIL for last two years therefore it does not exceed the maximum amount chargeable to tax, hence you are not required to file return hence question of impostion of any fine does not arise.

Conclusion:

1.u can either file your NIL income returns to satify the department. or

2. better way is that you can write to them that you have not earned any income during the last 2 years and enclsoe your bank statements as proof.

hope the above satisfies your query.

salary  is  taxable on accrual basis or recept basis which ever is earlier

Leave a Reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Company
ARTICLESHIP 01 October 2026
Articled Assistant

KPSN & Associates LLP

Chennai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 15 September 2026
Freelance Taxation Content Writer Intern

Interactive Media Pvt Ltd.

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
19 September 2026
CA/Semi-CA/BCom

Pravin Sarvaiya

Mumbai

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 07 October 2026
Article Trainee/ CMA Trainee

RMA And Associates LLP

New Delhi

CA Inter

View Details
Company
Featured 03 October 2026
Accountant

A P Lodha and Associates

Jalna

B.Com

View Details
Company
08 October 2026
Accounts and Tax Associate

POOJA R TELI & CO

Pune

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 16 September 2026
Article Assistant

MANUJ SHARMA AND COMPANY

Noida

CA Inter

View Details
Company
ARTICLESHIP 21 September 2026
CA Article Assistant

KK & Company Chartered Accountant

Pune

CA Inter

View Details