Law Exam Tips for CS/CA PCC Students
1. In practical problems never start your answer with Yes or No unless you are 100% sure. First mention the relevant provision and show in your answer how you reach the conclusion. In the end conclude your answer in the following manner: “On the basis of above discussion we can conclude that as per the Section-166 Annual General Meeting can not be convened on a public holiday.” (Consider this as an example).
On the contrary if you are 100% sure from the very beginning always start your answer with Yes or No. Like in the above problem it is very much sure that AGM can not be held on a public holiday.
2. Try and always mention the relevant section. Make it a habit. Do not ask anybody regarding the importance of remembering a section. If you make it a habit now it will 100% pay at the time of your final preparation.
3. In distinctive question never segregate 2 provisions with the help of a line.
For example: Distinguish between Fixed and Floating Charge
Mention the distinction in the following way:
(i) Fixed charge is created in the specific property on the other hand floating charge is created on the class of property.
(ii) Fixed charge clutch the property whereas floating charge floats over the property.
Conclusion: You should use “on the other hand” OR “whereas” to club two different provisions.
4. You may underline the relevant provision or any substantial provision.
5. In theory paper never read practical problems first. First attempt flat questions. Like in Audit or Law first attempt short notes or distinctions etc.
Reason for not attempting the practical problems first is that in the beginning you have enough time to read it twice or thrice and waste your time.
6. If you mention any case law highlight it properly. Write it in the following way:
Union of India
7. In distinction problems first write something (2-3 lines) about the topic. Example: Like in the distinction between Interim and Final Dividend write some about Interim and Final Dividend and mention in the end: “hence the points of distinction between Interim and Final Dividend are as follows”
8. In exam never use short forms like AGM, EGM, CG, CLB, ROC, ICSI, ICAI, SAP, AS.
9. When you start your answer by using a section use like this:
“As per Section-171 of the Companies Act, 1956”
10. Try and make an effort to complete your paper 100%. In other words attempt full paper of 100 marks. This is very important for fetching more marks.
11. Try and avoid cutting of words. (See the example below)
Whenever a company fails to file the annual accounts and annual returns, desc -ribed in sub-clause (A) of clause (g) of sub-section (1) of section 274, persons who are directors on the last due date for filing the annual accounts and the annual returns for any continuous three financial years commencing on and after the first day of April, 1999, shall be disqualified.
Observe the first line of the Para above and see the word described. Half the word is in first line and half is in second line. This is some thing very poor as far as professional exams are concerned. So avoid it.